Thread: Overall Backup Process

Default Overall Backup Process

We are currently setting up our backup process to run a weekly full backup and a daily incremental. This was relatively easy to setup and seems to run fine in our testing. What I'm curious about is some high level things that occur in actual practice.

My primary concern is how logs are flushed during backups.

If our backup schedule is as follows:

1. Daily Incremental (Bin Log) Backups at 6 am.
    2. Weekly full backups at 7:00am on Wednesdays

Will the Daily Incremental on Thursday be assured of containing only those changes betweem the full and the next day's daily? Are the proper log flushing and resets done in the full backup to ensure this? Is there any documentation that describes the high level (or detailed) actions performed during the backup steps by Zamanda? For instance, mysqldump doesn't execute a log flush by default, does Zamanda?

Also, is there an option to do a logical backup with a file per table?

Thanks in Advance,
    Last edited by GLStephen; July 18th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GLStephen View Post
    We are currently setting up our backup process to run a weekly full backup and a daily incremental. This was relatively easy to setup and seems to run fine in our testing. What I'm curious about is some high level things that occur in actual practice.

My primary concern is how logs are flushed during backups.

If our backup schedule is as follows:

1. Daily Incremental (Bin Log) Backups at 6 am.
    2. Weekly full backups at 7:00am on Wednesdays

Will the Daily Incremental on Thursday be assured of containing only those changes betweem the full and the next day's daily? Are the proper log flushing and resets done in the full backup to ensure this? Is there any documentation that describes the high level (or detailed) actions performed during the backup steps by Zamanda? For instance, mysqldump doesn't execute a log flush by default, does Zamanda?
    Yes. Zmanda always flush the logs before the actual backup happens.

Quote Originally Posted by GLStephen View Post
    Also, is there an option to do a logical backup with a file per table?

Thanks in Advance,
    Currently no.

--kkg