Thread: 15 minute challenge

Default 15 minute challenge

I just installed amanda-backup-server_2.6.0p1-1_i386.deb w/ dpkg -i and am afraid that the 15 minute challenge and I've spent way longer than 15 minutes!

First of all, amandabackup wasn't created, and I had to create it manually.

My main goal is to just be able to backup some filesystems. In setting up the 1st server in the example, it indicates to save the passphrase. What is that? Is this used for encryption? Is a step/explanation missing here? I will probably be using encryption down the line sometime.

I've decided to just do the setup for Copper.... but ran into the following error later on:

Amanda-Server2: /space/vtapes/DailySet1/slots #>amtape DailySet1 reset
    amtape: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I did an apt-get install libssl-dev as well as
    apt-get install libssl0.9.8 and that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by bichon; July 16th, 2008 at 01:50 AM. Reason: a few more questions on this topic...

The package you're installing is a Debian package, and won't work on Ubuntu -- that's the root of the ssl problem. As for amandabackup not being created, that's a known problem and we'll be releasing a new package soon (hopefully Dan, who's building it, will chime in with "how soon"). Finally, as for the passphrase, yes, it's for encryption and should be a very long password, as it's the key to decrypt all of your data. If you're not doing encryption just yet, it's probably better to start *unencrypted* and set that up once everything else is working.

Default 15 minute challenge

Thanks. Yes, I'm running Ubuntu. From your download page, this was the image that was specified for "Debian,Ubuntu" and so I assumed that this should work. Is there something else I can download, or do I have to compile from the "Source" image?

Yeah, sorry about that.

At the moment, I don't have an ETA for the Ubuntu packages, so compiling from source is your best option.