Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows OS Full backup/restore

Default Windows OS Full backup/restore

Hi,

Can Amanda Backup the whole Windows OS to the extent that can restore the whole thing? I know using samba or now using the win client we can backup files, but i want the realiability of restoring the whole server via amandarestore.

Thanks

Brandon

Are there any plans to have Amanda do windows OS imaging?

Thank You,

Gary Lenon

Quote Originally Posted by glenon View Post

Thank You,

Gary Lenon
    Not right now.

Paddy

But can you backup the entire windows OS?

Quote Originally Posted by tra4d View Post
    But can you backup the entire windows OS?
    Hmmm.... why can't you just backup the who system and then restore the entire disk. This may be a little trick because you will have to shadow some files.... but it should not be impossible.

frankly i'm happy to just recover the files on our Windows file servers.

Rag and HTF,

Its appears that the Zmanda Client for Windows can to bare-metal recovery of your windows operating systems and do it to dissimilar systems. This is something I'd like to personally test because it's kind of cool. Check the FAQ under

"Do you support backup of Windows System State? "
    [url]http://www.zmanda.com/amanda-enterprise-faq.html[/url]

If you are referring to Amanda community client, the answer is no. Zmanda Windows Client (part of Amanda enterprise) can backup and recovery system state. This can be used as part of bare metal backup/recovery. Please note that Zmanda Windows Client does not perform bare metal backup/recovery.

Paddy
    Last edited by paddy; November 11th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Paddy,

Thanks.... I was misreading that, trying to test the community clients and really not able to see how it would be possible. I'm happy to pay for such a valuable service. Bare-metal Recover to a dissimilar platform is worth it.

Paddy Wrote
    > Zmanda Windows Client (part of Amanda enterprise) can backup and recovery system state.

Quote Originally Posted by jfarschman View Post
    Paddy,

Thanks.... I was misreading that, trying to test the community clients and really not able to see how it would be possible. I'm happy to pay for such a valuable service. Bare-metal Recover to a dissimilar platform is worth it.
    Pl. note that System State backup (taken with Zmanda Windows Client), of one OS and platform (32 or 64 bit) can not be restored to different OS or platform. OS and platform should be matching otherwise system state restore returns error.