PDA

View Full Version : Will AMANDA work on an external USB Drive

Max
October 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I have been reading about AMANDA for the first time for the last four hours. Sounds perfect for my needs. Here is my situation. Have a SUSE 10.1 Server and six Win XP computers. Based on all that I have read, this would allow bare metal restore on all of the above... right ? Since comparatively speaking my total full back-up of all systems combined is relatively small, will AMANDA back-up to a 750 GIG external USB drive (or any External USB Drive) ?

Thanks for your advice.

Andrew Rakowski
November 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I have been reading about AMANDA for the first time for the last four hours. Sounds perfect for my needs. Here is my situation. Have a SUSE 10.1 Server and six Win XP computers. Based on all that I have read, this would allow bare metal restore on all of the above... right ? Since comparatively speaking my total full back-up of all systems combined is relatively small, will AMANDA back-up to a 750 GIG external USB drive (or any External USB Drive) ?

Thanks for your advice.

I would expect that if the external USB drive looks like a normal filesystem to your SUSE server that is running the Amanda server package, and you configure Amanda to use virtual tapes to that filesystem, it should work fine - just from the "nothing magic about mounted USB drives to Linux" point of view. As far as Amanda is concerned, it just wants pathnames to directories and files where the virtual tapes are located. As long as the pathnames to the external disk drive remain constant, I'd expect it to "just work".

I have no ideas on the bare metal restore capability of a Windows client that is using the Amanda server - I've never tried Windows backups to Amanda. Hopefully someone will see this thread got updated and might be able to comment on that aspect.

-Andrew