PDA

View Full Version : Amanda USB drive as a tape archieve

retired_techie
September 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Hi I am trying to backup my Windows XP machine that I can not do with the windows backup utility.
I am new to this Amanda. I only downloaded the client for Windows and accepted all of the defaults and the bsdtcp option.
I actually do not know exactly what I am doing with Zmanda but wish to learn.
I have a USB Maxtor Hard disk drive that I wanted to use as a storage for my main hard drive backup. What are the step by step instructions that I must do to accomplish this task if at all possible?
Thanks for any support I receive.

sunil
October 1st, 2007, 12:12 AM
For windows client installation and configuration please follow:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Windows_client

For quick installation and configuration of amanda see examples:
http://www.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html

retired_techie
October 2nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Thank you.
On my windows XP machine I also installed an additional internal hard drive that I am using exclusively for the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. Ubuntu can not write to my USB drive I think because it is in NTFS format. I found a forum with a link that said to add some packages to Ubuntu so that it could write to NTFS file systems. I received messages Software Channel has newer release. I do not know what exactly what that message is telling me to do? Where do I get the latest release of the Dapper packages?
If while my machine is running in Linus mode could it act as a backup server for the NTFS file system on the same computer?
Would I have to load both a server and client on the same Linux machine?
Thank you for reading all of this.

Andrew Rakowski
October 2nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you.
On my windows XP machine I also installed an additional internal hard drive that I am using exclusively for the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. Ubuntu can not write to my USB drive I think because it is in NTFS format. I found a forum with a link that said to add some packages to Ubuntu so that it could write to NTFS file systems. I received messages Software Channel has newer release. I do not know what exactly what that message is telling me to do? Where do I get the latest release of the Dapper packages?
If while my machine is running in Linus mode could it act as a backup server for the NTFS file system on the same computer?
Would I have to load both a server and client on the same Linux machine?
Thank you for reading all of this.

Hi. In general, you can NOT run both Windows and Linux at the same time (there are options like VMware to run a "virtual" system inside another, but that is too a complex topic for this discussion), so you are either running Windows OR Linux at any time.

Amanda is normally used for doing client and server backups. Generally, that's a central backup system that allows multiple computers to be backed up to one server, using a tape drive or large disk system on that backup server.

For your Ubuntu questions, I'd suggest reading through the support information at http://www.ubuntu.com/support, or reading / asking questions on the excellent Ubuntu support forums at http://ubuntuforums.org/.

You're more likely to find solutions that fit your backup problem there, as I'm sure others have wanted to do exactly the same sorts of things (I run both Ubuntu and Windows at home, but on separate systems, and I back them up using a combination of native tools from each OS, but do not run Amanda there - although I might need to set that up at some time.)

You can find all of the Ubuntu specific information at http://www.ubuntu.com/ (click on the download link on the left side to get a new copy if you want to try something more recent that the v6.06 that you're using now.) The newer releases may do a better job with things like removable media (your USB drive)

I hope that helps a bit, but I'd recommend you head to the Ubuntu-specific forums for more questions on interactions between Windows and Ubuntu, and how to do what you want with your system.

Best regards,

-Andrew [in the deserts of eastern Washington, USA]

retired_techie
October 3rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Thank you Andrew.
I figured out how to get Ubuntu to read and write to my NTFS hard drive.
Now all I need to do is get Ubuntu to be able to read and write to my USB drive. I know it is a Ubuntu issue which I have not found the answer for. I have been reading quite a few of the posts on the Ubuntu forum about USB disk drives but so far have found none with my exact problem and a solution.
The reason I wanted to backup my windows XP hard drive is I wanted to reload windows XP. When I tried to use windows XP backup to write to the USB disk drive it failed. So I thought that maybe Amanda could make the backup of the windows XP hard drive.
One possibility is just to copy my windows XP hard drive to the USB drive.
My only reservation is that whatever bugs I have with the windows XP will be put back after I reinstall windows and copy back data from my USB disk drive to the hard drive.

Here where I currently work there are about a dozen PC's that should get backed up periodically which is not happening. So there is an opportunity for me to apply Amanda in an environment for which it was designed after I become comfortable with Amanda.
Again thanks for helping me to get my feet wet so to speak. I used to do embedded firmware development but did not have to worry about OS's or networks etc. I did c coding and assembly coding.
I will only post Amanda questions to this forum from now on.
Again thanks for reading and commenting.
Stuart aka Retired_techie

Andrew Rakowski
October 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Stuart -

Thank you Andrew.
I figured out how to get Ubuntu to read and write to my NTFS hard drive.
Now all I need to do is get Ubuntu to be able to read and write to my USB drive. I know it is a Ubuntu issue which I have not found the answer for. I have been reading quite a few of the posts on the Ubuntu forum about USB disk drives but so far have found none with my exact problem and a solution.

Hmmm, that seems like it should be a relatively minor issue for Ubuntu if the USB drive is standard, but it might also be something that was added to Ubuntu in more recent releases (Ubuntu has the rough equivalent of "stable" and "testing" releases, with the long term supported release being the Dapper Drake release you're using - I think...) I have been following their newer releases (after they come out of beta) with my home system to pick up the newer applications, so I'm just not familiar with the issue. On the other hand, I haven't actually plugged in one of my external USB drives to see what it does, and I should probably give that a try. I've been accessing my NTFS filesystems using Samba and just mounting the Windows shares remotely.

The reason I wanted to backup my windows XP hard drive is I wanted to reload windows XP. When I tried to use windows XP backup to write to the USB disk drive it failed. So I thought that maybe Amanda could make the backup of the windows XP hard drive.
One possibility is just to copy my windows XP hard drive to the USB drive.
My only reservation is that whatever bugs I have with the windows XP will be put back after I reinstall windows and copy back data from my USB disk drive to the hard drive.

I've never had luck restoring just part of a Windows system, mostly because of the ties between the registry and the various files restored. I've either done a full image restore, gone back to the "re-install the factory image" DVD, or done a fresh install of Windows. Unless I did the full image restore, I've need to the reinstall any new applications, drivers, etc.

Here where I currently work there are about a dozen PC's that should get backed up periodically which is not happening. So there is an opportunity for me to apply Amanda in an environment for which it was designed after I become comfortable with Amanda.

I've been meaning to try Windows backups to Amanda here at work as well, but we have a different product that currently backs them up. We have concerns about Windows shares on our network, so I'm not sure what I'd do (maybe using the CygWin Unix tools for Windows, and tunneling backups via ssh). Anyhow, I haven't attempted Windows backups to Amanda yet - or Mac (OSX) either. Yipes, I need to get moving!

Again thanks for helping me to get my feet wet so to speak. I used to do embedded firmware development but did not have to worry about OS's or networks etc. I did c coding and assembly coding.
I will only post Amanda questions to this forum from now on.
Again thanks for reading and commenting.
Stuart aka Retired_techie

No problem, Stuart. I just didn't want you to think there were a bunch of snooty folks here. There's a whole bunch of different *nix OSs being used by people on this forum, and mostly in large installations, and many might not have tried what you're attempting.Lack of reply is common, as we're all buried in something at one time or another! We also run RedHat Linux almost exclusively at the lab, but I happen to like Ubuntu (and Debian in general) enough to run it at home.

Best regards,

-Andrew