PDA

View Full Version : online-backups non-disruptive??

bmurphy96
August 29th, 2007, 07:07 AM
So, I set up zrm from the tarball. This was because when you use the debian packages it requires the mysql-server package to be installed. Seems reasonable except we install mysql from binaries that MySQL AB makes available.

Anyways, now I am starting to test backups. We want to use zmanda to perform online backups of our data using lvm-snapshots. This is suppose to be non-disruptive.

In our environment we have master/slave pairs with the slaves used for hot-spares and for backups. I configured one of the slaves with the zmanda files and fired off a simple lvm backup of the mysql data.

I verified that the backup was being performed (I could see the lvm-snapshot and of course zmanda was telling me what it was doing).

After about two minutes my pager goes off with a message about replication not working on the slave (the one that I am doing my backup on). I used the mysql client to access the server and did a show-processlist. Nothing there. Nothing. Slave daemons not running.

So, why does zmanda shut off the slave daemons? I thought the whole point to all this was that lvm-snapshots would enable the server to keep operating.

Any help would be appreciated.

kkg
September 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
sorry for the tardy reply. Was busy with something else.

If the backup was successful, then the slave threads should have got restarted. It might be a privileges issue. Please check if the user you are running as, has privileges to start the slave threads. Basically you need the 'SUPER' privilege.

If that is not the issue, could you post the verbose logs? That will help us understand the issue better.

--kkg

paddy
October 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
So, I set up zrm from the tarball. This was because when you use the debian packages it requires the mysql-server package to be installed. Seems reasonable except we install mysql from binaries that MySQL AB makes available.

This dependency has been removed in ZRM 1.2.1 release