PDA

View Full Version : Simulating differential backups

azzegai
August 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Would it be possible to generate differential backups using ZRM by moving the last incremental backup out of the backup set backup directory before running an incremental backup?

My goal here is to generate a differential backup every hour and then do a daily full backup. I'm aware that this is possible by just using an hourly incremental backup, but I would like to reduce the number of files that I need to rely on in case I need to do a recovery and having to rely on 23 incremental backups will complicate my situation a bit.

paddy
October 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Would it be possible to generate differential backups using ZRM by moving the last incremental backup out of the backup set backup directory before running an incremental backup?

My goal here is to generate a differential backup every hour and then do a daily full backup. I'm aware that this is possible by just using an hourly incremental backup, but I would like to reduce the number of files that I need to rely on in case I need to do a recovery and having to rely on 23 incremental backups will complicate my situation a bit.

To create differential backups from multiple incremental backups, you have to change the index files. You can script the mysql-zrm-restore process or take
a look at Zmanda Management Console (which is part of [URL=http://www.zmanda.com/zrm-mysql-enterprise.html]Enterprise edition).

Paddy