PDA

View Full Version : Does Amanda work with Tandberg 420LTO ?

marwooj
August 24th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Has anybody made amanda working Tandberg 420LTO?

choogendyk
September 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hoping you were able to resolve this since it was posted over 2 weeks ago. I'll give a generic answer just so there isn't a dead end thread on the forum.

In general, if you can make a drive or library work with your OS, then it will work with Amanda. Typically, you want to be able to use mt from the command line for a tape drive, and be able to use tar with the output to the tape drive. For a library, you will want to install and configure mtx and be able to move, mount, and eject tapes from the command line with mtx. In the process of doing this you will determine what the device names are for your drive and library. Once this is done, configuring amanda to use them is fairly straight forward.

The specifics of configuring a drive will be particular to your OS and the drive manufacturer. For example, in Solaris, DDS/3 is built in, and is generally /dev/rmt/0. When I got an AIT5 drive, I had to get configuration parameters from Sony Tech Support, edit /kernel/drv/st.conf, and do a reconfigure reboot. It came up as /dev/rmt/1. My library required editing /kernel/drv/sgen.conf and came up as /dev/scsi/changer/c7t0d0.

As far as Amanda configuration, you can choose an existing tape type for the LTO type you have (e.g. LTO3), or you can run amtapetype and generate a definition specific to your drive and installation. This may take a long time to run.

If you have a library, and have configured mtx so that it works from the command line, then you can use the chg-zd-mtx glue script to connect Amanda with mtx.

The Amanda steps are all documented in the man pages and in the wiki.