PDA

View Full Version : Restore of a remote server

Johan Barelds
August 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hi all,

I need to do a restore of a remote server.
We do make backups of remote servers with the socket-copy.pl plugin.
Is it so that if i start the restore it also uses this plugin to do the restore?

(When i started to check the binary logs with the "action parse-binlogs" option it started to connect to the local mysql server which is obviously not the right thing to do.)

Furthermore: do i need to restore a full backup first and the then the latest incrementals to get to the latest backupped situation or will only a restore of the latest incremental will do? (is there some sort of build-in intelligence who knows what other datasets are needed).

Thanks for all replies!

Grz. Johan Barelds

paddy
August 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

I need to do a restore of a remote server.
We do make backups of remote servers with the socket-copy.pl plugin.
Is it so that if i start the restore it also uses this plugin to do the restore?

Yes. It does.

Furthermore: do i need to restore a full backup first and the then the latest incrementals to get to the latest backupped situation or will only a restore of the latest incremental will do? (is there some sort of build-in intelligence who knows what other datasets are needed).

Thanks for all replies!

Grz. Johan Barelds

You will need to restore full and all the necessary incremental dumps. The Zmanda management Console that is part of enterprise edition (http://www.zmanda.com/zrm-mysql-enterprise.html) provides the "intelligent" restore functionality.

Paddy

Johan Barelds
August 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Yes. It does.
You will need to restore full and all the necessary incremental dumps. The Zmanda management Console that is part of enterprise edition (http://www.zmanda.com/zrm-mysql-enterprise.html) provides the "intelligent" restore functionality.
Paddy

Thanks for the info Paddy!
One question left. Is it advisable to empty the database first before attempting the restore or doesn't that really matter.

Grz. Johan

paddy
August 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info Paddy!
One question left. Is it advisable to empty the database first before attempting the restore or doesn't that really matter.

Grz. Johan

It does not matter.

Paddy