PDA

View Full Version : Using amanda with an Overland LoaderXpress tapechanger

r-d
May 18th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Hello,
First I'm french, so please excuse my poor english. :)

I'm using amanda 2.4.4p3-3 on a debian sarge to backup mostly the whole hosts on my network.
I've got a LoaderXpress as tape changer, with 2*10 LTO-3 tapes.

The goal is to have 2 month as backup, 10 tapes by month.

My questions are :
Is there any other way to do inform amanda about the library switch than using crontab ?

Which changer script must I use ? I think chg-mtx, but it don't come with debian package.

In fact, is there anyone who already do that kind of scheme who could explain me how (s)he does ?

Thanks
Rémi Demarthe.

ppragin
May 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM
you should be using chg-zd-mtx
Pavel

r-d
May 22nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for your answer.

What about the rotation of the two 10-tapes libraries ?

ppragin
May 22nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi,

I think it will be easier if you gave an overview of what you are looking get out of you amanda configuration. How many clients? How much data you are planning to back up?
Do you have any special requirements when it comes to tape retention, etc.. After you provide this info , maybee I can give some ideas of how to go about implementing it.

Thanks
Pavel

r-d
May 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
Hello,

I got more info.
In fact, 14 tapes will be used in a weekly config (7 tapes by week) and 6 tapes will be used in a monthly config (3 tapes by month).
I don't know how many client will be backed up yet. Neither do I about the amount of data, but someone will gave me the answer soon.

The weekly config is for often changing data. Month config for more static data.

Thanks,
Rémi

ppragin
May 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
1.I think you should have a standard config for weekly, that will do a Level 0 backup for all the DLEs at the first time you run an amdump and after that a full every 7 days and then it will also do incrementals for the rest of the days during the week.

2. And the second config you can force amanda to only do full backups by adding this line to the dumptype "strategy noinc" that you will create and dedicate for full backups. And then run the cron 3 times a month to do the full dumps.

3. If you are using the same tape library for both configs, you can specify a different "labelstr" parameter in amanda.conf for both configs and this will enable amanda to differentiate between the two kinds of tape.
labelstr "^DailyTape-[0-9][0-9]*$" #for daily
labelstr "^WeeklyTape-[0-9][0-9]*$" #for weekly

r-d
May 31st, 2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Finaly, I'm gonna use 12 tapes for daily and 8 for weekly to have a better tape rotation for weekly.

So in the different config I've got :
For daily :
dumpcycle 7
runspercycle 5
tapecycle 12

and for weekly :
dumpcycle 28
runspercycle 4
tapecycle 8

Rémi.