PDA

View Full Version : Dump levels



Joe Donner
May 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM
dear all,

i'm new to linux and amanda, but need to implement a backups solution for backing up serveral linux machines to an amanda backup server. i'm currently testlabbing it using a tapeless configuration, and all seems to be going well.

however, my understanding is that amanda would "automatically" create a full backup once during its backup cycle, and make incremental backups on the other days. however, i'm seeing this (hades = amanda backup server, mercury = backup client):

DUMP SUMMARY:
DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
hades /afolder 1 49210 13993 28.4 0:062177.1 0:0051853.0
mercury /home 0 1480 1390 93.9 0:011349.2 0:0018368.7
mercury /var/log 0 7900 443 5.6 0:02 189.2 0:005964.1

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.4p1)

and this:

[root@hades arestore]# amoverview matrix_config

date 05 05 05 05 05 05 05
host disk 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

hades /afolder 1 1 1 1 1
mercury /home 0 0 0 0 0
mercury /var/log 0 0 0 0 0

i believe this tells me that hades has been incrementally backed up every day over the past 5 days, and mercury has been fully backed up every day over the last 5 days. what's confusing me is that i expected hades to have had a full backup during the last 5 days. so what i really want to know is how amanda's dumplevels work, i.e. full vs incremental.

my amanda.conf file has these settings:

dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 5 days
tapecycle 5 tapes

amanda.conf is set to use the "standard strategy". i believe that configuring the dumptype i'm using with "dumpcycle 0" will cause full backups to be made each time the job runs, but would like to understand what's going on.

I would appreciate your advice very much.

tkr
May 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
dear all,

i'm new to linux and amanda, but need to implement a backups solution for backing up serveral linux machines to an amanda backup server. i'm currently testlabbing it using a tapeless configuration, and all seems to be going well.

>> Great. What were you using for backups before, just out of curiosity?

however, my understanding is that amanda would "automatically" create a full backup once during its backup cycle, and make incremental backups on the other days. however, i'm seeing this (hades = amanda backup server, mercury = backup client):

>> Amanda has a very smart scheduler that tries to keep consistent backup
>> window.

DUMP SUMMARY:
DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
hades /afolder 1 49210 13993 28.4 0:062177.1 0:0051853.0
mercury /home 0 1480 1390 93.9 0:011349.2 0:0018368.7
mercury /var/log 0 7900 443 5.6 0:02 189.2 0:005964.1

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.4p1)

>> So you are backing up /afolder from hades and /home and /var/log from
>> mercury, right?

and this:

[root@hades arestore]# amoverview matrix_config

date 05 05 05 05 05 05 05
host disk 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

hades /afolder 1 1 1 1 1
mercury /home 0 0 0 0 0
mercury /var/log 0 0 0 0 0

i believe this tells me that hades has been incrementally backed up every day over the past 5 days, and mercury has been fully backed up every day over the last 5 days. what's confusing me is that i expected hades to have had a full backup during the last 5 days. so what i really want to know is how amanda's dumplevels work, i.e. full vs incremental.

>> Amanda creates atleast one full backup for every dumpcycle. You will have to
>> start with a full for the first time around. Are these new amanda configs or are
>> migrating existing ones?


my amanda.conf file has these settings:

dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle 5 days
tapecycle 5 tapes

>> hmm..you really want tapecyle to be definitely more than runspercycle, but
>> I do not believe that is the issue here. So in a given week, you want 5 dumps
>> ie only weekdays and you want one of those to be a full dump, right?
>> Try dumpcycle 1 week, runspercycle 5 .

amanda.conf is set to use the "standard strategy". i believe that configuring the dumptype i'm using with "dumpcycle 0" will cause full backups to be made each time the job runs, but would like to understand what's going on.

>> If you set dumpcycle to be zero, you will have full backups each time.
>> If you have not already, I would suggest taking a look at wiki.zmanda.com
>> I would also suggest upgrading to Amanda 2.5.0 release has it has lots of
>> improvements.

I would appreciate your advice very much.

>> Hope that helps.
>>Thanks
>> tk

ppragin
May 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM
You can also force amanda to run a full backup using "amadmin":

amadmin DailySet1 force "client_hostname" /boot
#force full backup on /boot filesystem on client host when next amdump runs

Pavel

Joe Donner
May 22nd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Hi,

thank you for your replies. I think I just got myself confused with when my dumpcycle started - silly me! :o I think I didn't give it enough time to get through an entire dumpcycle, and that's why it looked like some full backups weren't being created.

I'm just going to let amanda run for another couple of days (I've done a virtual tape setup for testing purposes) and see what happens.

Currently we're using Arcserve for Windows for all our backups, but want to do backups for a couple of Linux and Unix servers to a second tape drive. So I've been tasked with investigating amanda. Have learned a lot about Linux in the process, which is quite cool. I have a Windows background, so it's a rather steep learning curve - at least in my case.

Thanks for the suggestion on forcing full backups, too - I think we'll probably do that for a start until we're happy with the way amanda works and feel confident with the new setup.

Regards,

Joe