PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - [selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK]

user1
July 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
I have an FC6 server running Amanda 2.5.0p2 with a second FC6 client machine -- both the server and client passes amcheck. But, when I try to set up a third machine in the DLE, a Windows XP SP2 client, I get "selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK". I have installed AmandaBackup-Clien2.5.2p1. using BSDTCP as the protocol running under cygwin (not the samba approach). I have followed the windows client instruction "Amanda running on Cygwin server" and reboot the machine after the configuration. Could anyone help me troubleshoot -- the only message I am getting is the "selfcheck request failed." I have completely disabled the firewall on the windows machine to no avail. Can you please provide any clue as to what is going on?

Questions:

1) Please note that I am running server version 2.5.0 and windows client 2.5.2p1. Is the mismatch in version acceptable?

2) What log files should I be looking at, on the client and the server side?

3) I would like to use cygwin instead of SAMBA? Is SAMBA scheme preferred over the cygwin?

4) What is the best known way to backup a windows client

paddy
July 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I have an FC6 server running Amanda 2.5.0p2 with a second FC6 client machine -- both the server and client passes amcheck. But, when I try to set up a third machine in the DLE, a Windows XP SP2 client, I get "selfcheck request failed: timeout waiting for ACK". I have installed AmandaBackup-Clien2.5.2p1. using BSDTCP as the protocol running under cygwin (not the samba approach). I have followed the windows client instruction "Amanda running on Cygwin server" and reboot the machine after the configuration. Could anyone help me troubleshoot -- the only message I am getting is the "selfcheck request failed." I have completely disabled the firewall on the windows machine to no avail. Can you please provide any clue as to what is going on?

See http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Selfcheck_request_failed

Questions:

1) Please note that I am running server version 2.5.0 and windows client 2.5.2p1. Is the mismatch in version acceptable?

Mismatch in versions is ok. You should make sure xinetd and .amandahosts entries are set up correctly. The format for these entries changed in 2.5.1 See Amanda wiki (wiki.zmanda.com)

2) What log files should I be looking at, on the client and the server side?

On server, look at amdump log file and /tmp/amanda debug log files. On client,
look at /tmp/amanda debug log files.

3) I would like to use cygwin instead of SAMBA? Is SAMBA scheme preferred over the cygwin?

Cygwin will allow you run backups on the client (including compression on the client). It reduces work on the server as well as network bandwidth (if compression is used)

Samba does not require amanda configuration on the windows client

Paddy
4) What is the best known way to backup a windows client[/QUOTE]

user1
July 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply; I finally got the amcheck to pass. I am including some instructions so that someone else can avoid the long troubleshooting headache. I sincerely hope this helps someone out there struggling.

The issue was with the user names and the windows installer

1) .amandahost file on the client should contain the user name that amanda server will be using to communicate with the client. Since the Fedora core linux binary has "amanda" as the user name (the server side amanda daemon -- look in your /etc/xinetd.d/amanda file, look for user=amanda??????; this is the name that was used to start up the amanda daemon, and this is the user name that the server will use to access the client). Now put this name in .amandhost file on the (Windows) client in the following format:

#YourAmandaServerName.YourDomain.Nam AmandaServerDaemonUserName

If you have Fedora or most linux binaries, replace AmandaServerDaemonUserName with "amanda" or whatever you have found in step1. In other words, this is the backup user rpm created during installation and placed in your /etc/passwd file of the server.

2) On windows client side, place the "amandabackup" as the username in /etc/inetd.conf to have the following format: Notice the 5th variable *amandabackup*? This is the username that will be used to start up the client daemon -- you didn't have a choice right?

amanda dgram udp wait amandabackup /usr/lib/amanda/amandad.exe amandad
-auth=bsd amdump

For whatever reason, the usernames are not consitent between the windows client binaries and the linux client binaries (rpms). This could save weeks (no exaggeration) of troubleshooting, if the names were consitent -- too easy? Go figure!

3) Most important step : you have to undo the assumption made by the GUI installer -- do not count on the installer to get this right, because it won't -- guaranteed! So just follow these instruction.

In the file /etc/inetd.conf (same as in item #2), change a) "stream" to dgram, b) tcp to udp c) -auth=bsdtcp to bsd.

The installer gui didn't ask you for these parameters, right? It is the don't ask, don't tell policy -:) This is where you come in and manually intervene to correct those ass-um-ptions.

4) You can start the daemone with "inetd d" not "inted -d" if you put the minus sign between inet and d, cygwin just exits. Many instuctions advocate this, but it hasn't worked for me. You can also install it as inetd --install-as-service to always run whenever Windows boots. Once it is up and running if you want to reload the service, you can go to windows explorer locate the file C:\windows\system32\services and launch it. Locate inetd on the "extended tab" (located at the bottom of its window), and double click on it, There will be buttons to start and stop service on the popup window. Once the inetd was installed as as service, I couldn't get it reload changes I made to the config file, through cygwin.

5) If you have to re-install windows binaries, the installer sometimes doesnot remove all the files due to permission issues. Make sure you are deleting while logged in as the same user while installing. If that doesn't work login with the user name "administrator" and you should be able to delete the necessary files.

paddy
August 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM
user1, Thanks for the documenting the steps to make amanda server rpms from Fedora distribution to work with Amanda Windows client from Zmanda downloads (http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php) page.

RPMs from Zmanda downloads page use same user ("amandabackup") as the Windows client. So, RPMs will work without any of the user changes with Windows client.

Usually, it is a good idea to get Amanda server and client packages from the same source (or build on your own).

Paddy

milwell
March 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm using 2.5.1 p3

you should also add in the global dumptype
auth "bsdtcp"