PDA

View Full Version : Backing up DHCP clients / Client initiated backups

mickey_n
June 26th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Hi,

I have just installed Amanda 2.5.2p1 on a Solaris 10 server and is successfully backing up some Mac OS 10.4 clients over ssh.

My problem is that some of the clients get their IP addresses from DHCP and this makes it difficult for the server to know what hostname the client currently has. Also these clients are mostly laptops and they are not always connected to the local network which means that they may not be available when the server wants to initiate a backup.

It seems to me that the best way to get around these problems would be to initiate the backup from the client. Does anyone know if this can be done with amanda?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Rgds,
/Mikael

Marc_Muehlfeld
July 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM
You could do allow your dhcpd to update your DNS server. Then you can configure amanda to connect to their FQDN. And additionally (or you can do this as solution without ddns updates, too) you can configure your dhcpd to provide fixed IPs via dhcp to these clients.

If you use ISC dhcpd you can add entries like

host myhost01 {
hardware ethernet 00:2B:BA:6E:48:F1;
fixed-address 192.168.1.5;
}

to your dhcpd.conf. Then this MAC-address allways get the configured IP.

mickey_n
July 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks Marc,

Yes, I'm aware of what can be done with ddns and fixed IP addresses by DHCP and I will probably use the fixed IP alternative. That's how I'm backing up my own laptop.

What I really wanted was to find a way to initiate the backup from the client because if I could do that, there would be no need to change the way DHCP is set up.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

/Mikael