PDA

View Full Version : Mixed MySQL / filesystem backups

alex
June 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hello,

I'm configuring a backup environment where I need to handle both general filesystem data and MySQL databases. ZRM for MySQL seems to be exactly what I need to backup the MySQL databases, but it also looks as though it may be MySQL specific. It seems to me that ZRM is essentially Amanda with extra logic for handling the peculiarities of MySQL databases. Can I run an Amanda server and have it call ZRM on my MySQL servers as part of its normal backup procedure? How would I configure this in the disklist? Alternatively, can I configure ZRM to call Amanda clients?

paddy
June 25th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hello,

I'm configuring a backup environment where I need to handle both general filesystem data and MySQL databases. ZRM for MySQL seems to be exactly what I need to backup the MySQL databases, but it also looks as though it may be MySQL specific. It seems to me that ZRM is essentially Amanda with extra logic for handling the peculiarities of MySQL databases. Can I run an Amanda server and have it call ZRM on my MySQL servers as part of its normal backup procedure? How would I configure this in the disklist? Alternatively, can I configure ZRM to call Amanda clients?

ZRM is MySQL backup and recovery program and does backups to disks. You
can backup the ZRM backup images using Amanda along with your filesystem
backups.

More tighter integration will be available with Amanda application API (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Application_API) is implemented.

Paddy

alex
June 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
ZRM is MySQL backup and recovery program and does backups to disks. You
can backup the ZRM backup images using Amanda along with your filesystem
backups.

Hmm, I was hoping to avoid this situation as we're dealing with ~500-750 gb databases. I'll have to put some thought into how I want to handle this.

More tighter integration will be available with Amanda application API (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Application_API) is implemented.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

paddy
June 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Hmm, I was hoping to avoid this situation as we're dealing with ~500-750 gb databases. I'll have to put some thought into how I want to handle this.

What is the current bottleneck? What are you using to backup your databases now?

Paddy

alex
June 25th, 2007, 06:45 PM
What is the current bottleneck? What are you using to backup your databases now?

Paddy

I just wanted to avoid having ZRM keep its full/incremental backups around on disk and then have Amanda do its own full/incremental backups of that data - it seems like an inefficient use of storage space to me. The current mode of backup is "we have a replication slave".