PDA

View Full Version : Syncpipe failure during buffer advance

Steven Truelove
June 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I am a new Amanda user and I am having problems getting it up and running. I have a 1 TB logical volume to back up. It is about half full. I am backing up to a Sony LIB-81 tape changer, which has one drive and can hold 8 ~100GB AIT3 tapes. I am using tape spanning to perform the backup.

Everything in the setup appears to be ready, and backups at least start to write to the tape, but then things get ugly. From the amdump e-mail:

==============

These dumps were to tape DailySet1-02.
The next 4 tapes Amanda expects to use are: 4 new tapes.
The next 4 new tapes already labelled are: DailySet1-03, DailySet1-04, DailySet1-05, DailySet1-06.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
potter.array.ca /export/home4 lev 0 FAILED [data write: Connection reset by peer]
potter.array.ca /export/home4 lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
taper: FATAL writer: Syncpipe failure during buffer advance

================

I have attached a ZIP file containing various logs associated with the dump as well as the amanda.conf. I would really appreciate some assistance!

I am running a 32-bit Ubuntu 7.04 box with the Ubuntu amanda package. The package appears to be giving me amanda 2.5.1p1-2.1ubuntu1.

ktill
June 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Hi,

does amcheck pass?
I would try to reduce tape_splitsize to a smaller value, like 1 GB ( vs 10 GB in the your current amanda.conf). Then retry to run amdump.

Steven Truelove
June 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks, switching to 1GB fixed it. I am surprised mmap is being used like this. Usually you would not expect it to need such complete random access to the file when writing it to a linear device!

Steven