PDA

View Full Version : Configuration doubts

skuali
April 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Hello all,

I am thinkig of using amanda to backup my system. As I am newbie I have some doubts about its configuration. I would like to perform daily incremental backups on my 1,4 TBytes RAID disk and montly full backups directly to tapes. I have taken a look at the information posted in this forum as well as the amanda man pages and wiki, and it is a bit confusing. Is it posible to use a single configuration file or do I have to create two different configurations for each strategy?
On the other hand, I would also like to flush the incremental backups of every month all together in the same tape, and I do not know if the recover could be possible under this situation. I have read something about burning cds or dvds because you can mount them and then make simbolic links, but you can't mount a tape.....
Finally, in case I have to edit two different configuration files, can I force the incrementals to be done from the full one?
I do not know if anythig makes sense. Perhaps I am complety wrong....
Thanks in advanced for your answers.

Skuali

paddy
April 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM
You will need two configurations for one for hard disk and another tape (they should have
daily and monthly schedule respectively).

Amanda uses dumpdates or gnutar incremental directory to track what files were backed up in the client. So, you can do incremental with respective to other configuration. In fact, this is easier to do.

Paddy