PDA

View Full Version : Logical backup on the remote machine

alitvak
April 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I am new to this software and still considering using it for work.

I don't understand some things with remote backups and may be someone can tell me.

When logical backups are performed, why do you guys running mysqldump over network? It seems that the sensible way and much faster as well, to dump database on the local drive compress it and scp to machine that has mysql-zrm. Raw backup sort of works this way. Unless we talking binary blobs, 6-7 times of compression can be achieved.

Benefits are clear, speed, less lock time, safer...

Yet during the backup, show processlist tells me you write dump to net, why?

kkg
April 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Hi,

Your suggestion is a good one but when people want to do only do a sql dump, they may not want to give direct access to the machine running the mysql server since mysql has provided a secure mechanism to dump this over the network.

--kkg

alitvak
April 16th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Your point is well taken, however this can an option. If I has access to my remote machines which most of the sysadmins do, then I can securely back them up over ssh. I also am not sure how it would be less secure if I authenticate over ssh vs open text. In any case this type of the backup should be at least an option.

kkg
April 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Your point is well taken, however this can an option. If I has access to my remote machines which most of the sysadmins do, then I can securely back them up over ssh. I also am not sure how it would be less secure if I authenticate over ssh vs open text. In any case this type of the backup should be at least an option.

Yes having it as an option is a good idea. Please do open a enhancement bug report on http://forums.zmanda.com/bugzilla

This will help track the bug.

BTW you can configure mysql to do client server communication using SSL if you want to do it securely

--kkg

alitvak
May 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Sorry for delay. Just filed bugzilla issue #44