PDA

View Full Version : Needs an amandaserver on windows 2000

palaniappan
March 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to install and configure amanda server on windows platform and taking backup of linux client??

Regds
palani

DJ
March 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Amanda server should be installed on Linux or Unix. If the only hardware available runs Windows, you can always install a free version of VMware server and run Amanda on a Linux virtual machine. Why don't you want to install Amanda on a Linux machine you have?
-------
Dmitri Joukovski

palaniappan
March 29th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hi,
Actually I know why we are installing on amanda linux & unix box.But I want to know that amanda will successfully work over windows platform or not.If it is possible what are the procedures to install amanda on windows.
Let me know is it possible or not???

regds,
palani.sp.

paddy
March 30th, 2007, 08:45 AM
You can run Amanda server on Unix/Linux platform and Amanda client on Unix/Linux/Windows platform. You can backup Windows.

Paddy

palaniappan
April 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hi paddy,
I accept ur reply,but assume that the situations is like below..
I am having windows server 2000,in this server already tapedrive is configured with veritas backup utility.Now i want to repalce the veritas utiility with amanda on this windows server2000.That's why i am asking, is it possible to configure the amandaserver on windows.
Moreover In zmanda site we are getting only amandaclient software for windows but linux/unix paltform we are getting amandaserver and amandaclient software.

Regds,
palani.

dustin
April 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
At the moment, the only way to run the Amanda server on Windows is to install Amanda via Cygwin.

Dustin

palaniappan
April 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hi dustin,
If u had tried,pls let me know the link for downloading the cygwin for winxp sp2.Becaz i had tried by installing the cygwin on windows.Server & client communication problem is arrving...thru tcp & by SSH also..

regds,
palani