PDA

View Full Version : incremental remote logical backups

malder
March 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hello forum,
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to make incremental logical backups of a remote server when I don't have access to its binary logs?
I have root control over the machine that will be running zrm but limited control over the remote webhostings machines that I have my databases on.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

kkg
March 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I don't think there is any mysql interface that can do this currently.

--kkg

motin
May 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Hello forum,
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to make incremental logical backups of a remote server when I don't have access to its binary logs?
I have root control over the machine that will be running zrm but limited control over the remote webhostings machines that I have my databases on.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have thought about this, and the only way I can think of is by using a text versioning tool like Subversion. This way you can probably achieve the incremental effect by the following procedure:

Preparation:
1. Set up a Subversion repository on your backup destination server/workstation
2. Set-up a working connection between the servers and check out a working copy locally on your remote server

Backup:
1. Perform a logical backup locally on your remote server
2. Move/copy the backup file and it's index-file companion to the working copy directory.
3. If you used compression during the backup, be sure to uncompress the backup file.
4. Perform a commit from the working copy. Subversion will send only the differences between the two logical backups to your backup destination.

Restoration:
1. Update (a command also used for "downdating") the working copy on the remote server to the revision containing the backup of your desired date/time
2. Move/copy the backup file and it's index-file companion to a directory recognized by ZRM and restore as usual.

The time to perform a backup is much longer than those for incremental backups using the binary log and I haven't tried this method but hell - it is incremental logical backups.

If you try this please report your experiences. Good luck!