PDA

View Full Version : Which directories to backup?

KMorley
March 14th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I know: the directories you might want to restore later...

Seriously, I'm running CentOS 4.2 on an Asterisk phone system with mirrored disk drives and I'm backing up to virtual tapes using Amanda 2.5.1p3.

I have the following in my disklist:

asterisk.jmtg.local /bin comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /etc comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /home comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /initrd comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /lib comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /misc comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /opt comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /proc comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /root comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /sbin comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /srv comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /sys comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /usr comp-user-tar
asterisk.jmtg.local /var comp-user-tar

Is there anything here that's superfluous and doesn't need to be or shouldn't be backed up?

Using the disklist above, will I be able to restore individual subdirectories under each of the directories above from my virtual tapes? For example, could I easily restore just /usr/src/* if I'm backing up /usr to tape as above?

I've got a cron entry to run the backup early each morning and I've setup the changer using 25 virtual tapes. Do I need to manually select a new tape each day or will it automatically cycle through the tapes?

Thanks!

ppragin
March 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM
>Is there anything here that's superfluous and doesn't need to be or shouldn't be backed up?
I dont see why you would want to backup up "/proc", but everything else looks good.

>Using the disklist above, will I be able to restore individual subdirectories under each of the >directories above from my virtual tapes? For example, could I easily restore just /usr/src/* if >I'm backing up /usr to tape as above?
Yes you will.

>I've got a cron entry to run the backup early each morning and I've setup the changer using >25 virtual tapes. Do I need to manually select a new tape each day or will it automatically >cycle through the tapes?
No if you setup everything correctly, it should be automatic.

KMorley
March 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks very much for the insight!