PDA

View Full Version : Error code 318?

rkl
December 21st, 2012, 03:22 AM
Apart from the dismal backup speed of the Amanda Windows client I'm seeing (between 2 to 20 times slower speeds than the Linux Amanda client using the same SAN - and, yes, inparallel=1 to avoid contention) which deserves a separate post, I'm also getting a weird error code coming back from a couple of the Windows Zmanda clients:

backup failed: dumper: [return error code 318]

I searched this forum, Google and even the Amanda source code and couldn't find code 318 in it. Anyone have any idea what it means? And why isn't 318 translated into an actual error string?

level6
January 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I was seeing something similar. Our scenario is this: Amanda Server 2.6.1p1 in CentOS, ZWC 3.3 x64 on Windows 2008 r2 (vCenter Server). I have been troubleshooting why ZWC service would not come up - seems vCenter Inventory Services now takes over port 10080. That was an easy enough fix (changed vCenter IS port), but then I got partial backups with:

FAILED DUMP DETAILS:

/-- CENSORED "C:/VMware/Infrastructure/Update Manager/SSL" lev 1 FAILED [return error code 318]
sendbackup: start [CENSORED:"C:/VMware/Infrastructure/Update Manager/SSL" level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=pkzip
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=Extract with zmanda windows client or unzip program
sendbackup: info end
| Total bytes written: 0 (0KiB, 0KiB/s)
| Total bytes backed up: 0
| Total Files Attempted: 0 Total files backed up: 0
sendbackup: error [return error code 318]
sendbackup: size 0
sendbackup: end
\--------

/-- CENSORED "C:/VMware/Infrastructure/Update Manager/SSL" lev 1 FAILED [return error code 318]
sendbackup: start [CENSORED:"C:/VMware/Infrastructure/Update Manager/SSL" level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=pkzip
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=Extract with zmanda windows client or unzip program
sendbackup: info end
| Total bytes written: 0 (0KiB, 0KiB/s)
| Total bytes backed up: 0
| Total Files Attempted: 0 Total files backed up: 0
sendbackup: error [return error code 318]
sendbackup: size 0
sendbackup: end
\--------

I am not exactly sure which thing I did fixed this, but I 1) restarted ZWC-MySql service, which also forces restart of ZWC Service service. Then, I forced level-0 on next backup on server with "amadmin <configuration> force <client> <directory>". I re-ran the backup and it went fine.

Raymond.

rkl
January 24th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the fix! I'd already restarted the ZWC services with no joy, but examining the backup history, I noticed that we'd had one successful level zero and then many failures to do an incremental level 1. A quick amadmin force as suggested and the next backup (full one) was successful! Assuming that we get an incremental to work tomorrow, then this looks like the solution: force a level 0 backup on any incremental that returns error code 318. Of course, it shouldn't return that code anyway, so the issue will still crop up from time to time until the devs investigate it.