PDA

View Full Version : What to do when amcleanup finds zero-length .tmp file in holding disk?

Andrew Rakowski
February 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Jean-Louis commented in another thread about needing to do an "amcleanup XXXXset1" after aborting an amrecover session early. I had just removed the log file that was causing the next/real amrecover to fail (by doing a "mv log/log /tmp/"), but figured I'd do the amcleanup just to be safe.

So, I run the amcleanup and see there IS something in one of the holding disk directories. I tried to do an amflush to clean it out, and get an error:

-sh-3.00$ amcleanup XXXXset1
amcleanup: no unprocessed logfile to clean up.
Scanning /backup0/amanda-hdset1a...
Scanning /backup1/amanda-hdset1...
20070215005901: found Amanda directory.
-sh-3.00$
-sh-3.00$ ll /backup1/amanda-hdset1/20070215005901/
total 0
-rw------- 1 amandabackup disk 0 Feb 15 02:29 r2d2._.0.tmp
-sh-3.00$
-sh-3.00$ amflush XXXXset1
Scanning /backup0/amanda-hdset1a...
Scanning /backup1/amanda-hdset1...
20070215005901: found Amanda directory.
Could not find any valid dump image, check directory.
-sh-3.00$

Should I just delete this anomalous file (it appears to be a last little left-over from when my Amanda processes all died last week Thursday at 02:29 during a backup run), or will that cause other problems? I *have* had successful backups of that DLE since then, so it doesn't seem to have broken backups of that system.

Is this just a "remove the zero-length file" situation? If so, perhaps amcleanup should notice it's bogus and whack it on it's own?

-Andrew

Andrew Rakowski
February 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Just to follow up on this, I ended up deleting the zero length file (leaving just the empty directory), and ran "amcleanup XXXXset1", at which point it again mentioned finding the directory in the holding disk. However, when I went to look at the directory again, it was gone, and further "amclean" commands seem happy.

So, the bottom line is, if there's a zero-length file that keeps hanging around in the holding disk, delete it, then run amcleanup, and it appears to remove the problem.

Cheers,

-Andrew