PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about Amanda and Windows

forrie
June 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
My organization has been using Symantec's (really crappy) BackupExec product for years. They are discontinuing the product (thank God).

I'm tasked with looking into alternatives - Amanda came up in a discussion. A concern expressed is how Amanda will communicate with the Windows clients and transfer data -- does it use its own protocol or are we relying upon NFS, et al.

Most of our infrastructure is Linux based, but we have a couple Solaris boxes and several OS X systems.

All of our systems need to be accommodated by a backup candidate product. Thus far the commercial stuff I've seen over the years is bloated crapware (Legato, especially). I don't see any sense paying $$$ for that, if something like Amanda would work (and really well) where we could support it buy purchasing support, etc.

Input and feedback welcomed.

zbackup
June 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM
For Windows clients, we have written Zmanda Windows Client which talks to Amanda server natively (in Amanda's protocol).

Your environment seems to fit perfectly for Amanda Enterprise (which will give you GUI and Support). Perhaps you can start by doing a pilot? If you are interested in this please drop a note to zsales (at) zmanda.com. (you can mention this thread).

forrie
June 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
It's been many years since I looked at Amanda; I didn't realize there was a commercial version. I have forwarded a couple links to my boss to chat about. We may be venturing into the cloud, for some smaller stuff, too.

The Symantec product was just simply terrible. So bad, I gave it to someone else to work with, as it made no sense to me.

(One issue I had with BackupExec is the Solaris agent basically had free reign of the entire file system -- I wasn't able to restrict it from accessing certain materials, save for a config file that I don't think it even read. I considered implementing RBAC in Solaris to accomplish that.)

Might we be able to do a demo or something. I will keep you posted.

In fact, I'll email you from my company address so you have my info.

Forrest

For Windows clients, we have written Zmanda Windows Client which talks to Amanda server natively (in Amanda's protocol).

Your environment seems to fit perfectly for Amanda Enterprise (which will give you GUI and Support). Perhaps you can start by doing a pilot? If you are interested in this please drop a note to zsales (at) zmanda.com. (you can mention this thread).