PDA

View Full Version : ZRM Incremental+Full Backup

pr0t
January 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I just heard of ZRM for MySQL and figured I'd ask a few questions here.
My goal is to do hourly incremental backups of my MySQL databases.
After the last hourly backup I would like to take one big snapshot of all the databases for the entire day... So I want to do incremental and full backups everyday for my MySQL database is ZRM for MySQL able to do this and if so is it reliable?

paddy
January 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I just heard of ZRM for MySQL and figured I'd ask a few questions here.
My goal is to do hourly incremental backups of my MySQL databases.
After the last hourly backup I would like to take one big snapshot of all the databases for the entire day... So I want to do incremental and full backups everyday for my MySQL database is ZRM for MySQL able to do this and if so is it reliable?

ZRM for MySQL does full and incremental backups reliably. Many people are using it in production in various configurations. We (Zmanda) also use it to backup our infrastructure.

Doing daily full backup is straightforward. Currently, ZRM for MySQL supports monthly, weekly, daily scheduling. So, doing hourly backup will require some modifications. Since ZRM for MySQL uses cron jobs to actual execute the backup, you can change the crontab entry for hourly backups.

If you have questions, please post them here.

Paddy

pr0t
January 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Okay, sounds great... so with ZRM I can do hourly incremental backups for changes that occurred on a database within that hour and then at the end of the day I can schedule another cronjob to do a full backup correct? how much tweaking or configuration of ZRM would this take to achieve?

paddy
February 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
Okay, sounds great... so with ZRM I can do hourly incremental backups for changes that occurred on a database within that hour and then at the end of the day I can schedule another cronjob to do a full backup correct? how much tweaking or configuration of ZRM would this take to achieve?

Daily full backups you don't have to do any tweaking. See the manual section on scheduling - http://mysqlbackup.zmanda.com/index.php/Daily/_Weekly/_Monthly_Schedules

For Hourly incremental backups, you will have schedule it as daily backup and change the crontab entry.

Paddy