PDA

View Full Version : Lots Of Lost Data :(

GoremanX
March 22nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
My home server has been running daily backups on all our home computers for years now. There didn't seem to be any issues, the backups kept occurring every day and no error messages were generated. When I needed to recover some files, they were always there as needed.

Today I accidentally deleted a bunch of directories and needed to restore them. When I went to restore them, most of the files in those directories were missing. All the directories for that DLE are present, but the vast majority of them are just... empty. Instead of 250+ GB of photos and videos, I've got a tiny random selection of pictures in my backups which barely add up to 7.5 GB :(

I checked my settings, everything seems fine. Every other entry in the DLE is getting fully backed up without issues. Even the 150 GB /srv/shares/music entry, which uses the exact same parameters. Each one has a long history which spans the entire month. Except my /srv/shares/pictures DLE (which contained pictures and videos). It has only 1 entry in the history from March 14th. I can't explain this, it makes no sense. Each vtape can hold up to 100 GB, and there are 28 of them rotating on a 27 day schedule. They're not even close to full, maybe 1/4. Why did I just lose years of priceless data?

I'm on the verge of tears here... all our wedding photos and videos, all our family Christmases, it's all gone :( I was using Amanda religiously precisely to avoid this kind of thing.

(running Amanda 3.2.0 on SLES 11 RC1)

GoremanX
March 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
from the log:
FAIL planner server01.home.projectgmc.com /srv/shares/pictures 20110321050001 0 "[dump larger than available tape space, 261402625 KB, incremental dump also larger than tape]"

from amanda.conf:
runtapes 27
define tapetype HARDDISK {
comment "Virtual Tapes"
length 104857600 kbytes
}

from the Amanda wiki:
Disk Backups (Vtapes)
For vtapes, spanning is automatically enabled, as the VFS device supports LEOM. You can add a part_size if you'd like to split dumps into smaller parts; otherwise, Amanda will just fill each vtape with a single part before moving on to the next vtape.

so why didn't spanning work?!?

GoremanX
March 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
FOR GOD'S SAKE! SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER ME!!!

WTF is wrong with this goddamn forum?!? Why doesn't anyone ever answer?!?

paddy
March 23rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear that. Was the backup partial i.e, made only to a vtape because runtapes was 1?

GoremanX
March 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear that. Was the backup partial i.e, made only to a vtape because runtapes was 1?

runtapes is 27. The backup in this case happens to be larger than 1 vtape (250+ GB vs 100 GB). The holding disk was 200 GB. What I'm guessing happened is that the backup of my pictures directory has slowly been overwritten over the last month, ever since the total size went over the holding disk capacity. So the scheduled full dump never happened, and the incremental backups eventually became too large to fit too.

But that doesn't explain why disk spanning didn't happen.

martineau
March 24th, 2011, 04:27 AM
The wiki documentation is for the latest stable release (3.2.2) and sometime for the future release.

There was a bug in 3.2.0, you must define a split size if a dump is larger than a tape.

I don't understand, you said the daily backup run successfully but the backup are not available???

Do you read the daily email report?
I'm sure is tell that the dle failed to backup.
I'm sure it also print a few days before that it is going to overwrite the latest full backup of the dle.

GoremanX
March 24th, 2011, 05:19 AM
There was a bug in 3.2.0, you must define a split size if a dump is larger than a tape.

if I add:
part_size 10G
to amanda.conf, then amcheck fails on that line.

martineau
March 24th, 2011, 06:16 AM
if I add:
part_size 10G
to amanda.conf, then amcheck fails on that line.

Where do you added it? it must be in the tapetype definition.

GoremanX
March 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Where do you added it? it must be in the tapetype definition.
Thank you, now amcheck completed successfully. Hopefully tonight the backup of that DLE actually happens.