PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Server Hostname/IP

james8562
February 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Is there a way to set an amanda backup server to use ip addresses instead of hostnames to communicate/authenticate with clients? My problem is that I have two lan interfaces and need amanda backup to always use interface 1 and not 2. The only way I can get the server to communicate with its clients is by using fqdn's which makes the server communicate over interface 1 or 2 randomly.

I would like the server to authenticate with its clients via its interface 1 ip rather than its hostname. If this is not possible is there a way to set what hostname amanda backup uses because I can then use the interface 1 dns entry for authentication instead of the machine hostname.

This is a somewhat confusing request and situation so if more info is needed just ask.

P.S. Im using bsdtcp for authentication if that makes any difference.

martineau
February 11th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Amanda use the network route set on the host.

Is it the client or server that have two interfaces?
If it is the client, then using it's IP or interface name should works.

If it is the server, then no, there is no way in amanda to specify the interface to use.
The workaround is to set a second IP on the client and set a network route on the server to use the interface you want, use that new IP/hostname in the disklist.

james8562
February 11th, 2011, 09:46 AM
The server has two interfaces and I'm not very familiar with the kernel routing table so if you could give some brief instruction on what parameters need to be set, based on the following, I would really appreciate it. I'm ok with rtfm but it sounds like you already have the basics for my answer so I'm just looking to save myself some time :)

server ip: 10.10.0.1
server interface: eth0 (this is the machine that has 2 interfaces)
server hostname: brink.hollywood.lan

client ip: 10.10.0.5
client interface: eth0
client hostname: tornado.hollywood.lan

martineau
February 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM
If you want all trafic between the server and client to use eth0:
on server: route add -host 10.10.0.5 eth0

If you want only the backup trafic:
add another IP to the client eg, 10.10.0.55: ifconfig eth0:0 10.10.0.55
add a route on the server: route add -host 10.10.0.55 eth0
Use 10.10.0.55 in the disklist, or the hostname associated with that IP in the DNS.

This is untested, try at your own risk.