PDA

View Full Version : Amanda with two drive tape changer

endfx
December 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Hello,

I'm currently using amanda with a 1 x 7 tape drive unit, i.e. the tape changer holds 7 tapes but only writes to 1 tape at a time. I'm planning on upgrading to a 2 x 48 tape drive unit, i.e. the tape changer will hold 48 tapes and can write to 2 tapes at a time.

Will amanda support this?
Does anybody have any experience with this type of setup? I'm curious if I must configure amanda to see the 2 tape drives in the unit or if amanda just fires the data at the tape changer and the changer will handle the writing with the two write heads.

Thanks!

paddy
December 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Amanda supports only one tape drive in a configuration. You can logically divide your backup set into two configurations.

Paddy

chuckster9
April 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Paddy,

I have a QualStar RLS 4221 Jukebox that holds 22 tapes and has two tape drives in it. Currently I have only been able to get it to use only one of those drives. Is it possible to use both drives in the jukebox at the same time, backing up different files? Could you also shed a little more light on logically dividing up your backup set into two configuration? I'm guessing that I would need to run amdump with configuration 1 (for tape drive one) and amdump with configuration 2 (for tape drive two). Is this correct?

Thanks

paddy
April 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Paddy,

I have a QualStar RLS 4221 Jukebox that holds 22 tapes and has two tape drives in it. Currently I have only been able to get it to use only one of those drives. Is it possible to use both drives in the jukebox at the same time, backing up different files? Could you also shed a little more light on logically dividing up your backup set into two configuration? I'm guessing that I would need to run amdump with configuration 1 (for tape drive one) and amdump with configuration 2 (for tape drive two). Is this correct?

Thanks

Yes. You are on the right track.

Create two configurations each having different tape drive device names.

Use chg-zd-mtx as the changer and configure two different ranges for the slots (firstslot and lastslot variables in changer.conf) for both configurations.

Paddy

chuckster9
April 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Paddy,

Sorry about the late reply, but wanted to inform you that I got both tape drives working--a different configuration controlling each tape drive did the trick.

Thanks!