PDA

View Full Version : NAS support

chrisgarion
October 13th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I have several PCs and a NAS all connected to a single network. I'm looking for a cloud backup solution. Does Zmanda support backing up the data stored in the NAS? Any brands of NAS are suppported? What are the steps to set up the back up for the NAS-stored data? Thanks.

zbackup
October 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Yes, ZCB supports backing up data stored on NAS.

Our implementation is independent of any specific brand of NAS.

paddy
October 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Adding more information:

You will have to map the NAS share on the Windows machine as amandabackup user. Please see FAQ documentation on more information (Help->FAQ in the UI).

chrisgarion
October 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks, I take it as I must install Zmanda 1st before I know how to do the set up for backing up the NAS? I'm not good at this and would need to see if I can handle. Could you please post the detailed steps here? Hope it's not too complicated.

prashant
October 14th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Hi Chris,

Here is the information from ZCB documentation. Do let me know if you have any doubts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I backup data from a mapped network drive?
Yes. ZCB supports backing up mapped drives provided the shares are accessible by amandabackup user. ZCB supports both Windows and SMB shares mapped as drives. Backup of NTFS encrypted files on mapped network drive will fail with Access Denied error.

Requirements:

1. The amandabackup user must be a valid user on the machine whose network share is being accessed by ZCB machine. The password must be the same.

2. If the ZCB machine and the machine where the Network share is present, are part of a Windows domain, then make sure that the ZWCService is started with the domain amandabackup account i.e. domainname\amandabackup.

3. The drive must be mapped using Administrator user account or the user who will be running the ZCB program.

4. Make sure that amandabackup user has read access rights on the Network share.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Prashant