PDA

View Full Version : amrecover issue



skills
September 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
First of all, i want to say hello to everyone. I've been playing with amanda /testing it for 1-2 weeks and i'm happy with it. Now i put into production, the backup works great but the recovery part doesn't.

amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive file://backup/amanda/vtape/shared/ on host ######
The following tapes are needed: shared-1

Extracting files using tape drive file://backup/amanda/vtape/shared/ on host #####
Load tape shared-1 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/d]? y
Volume 'shared-1' not found
Load tape shared-1 now
Continue [?/Y/n/d]? n
Got no header and data from server, check in amidxtaped.*.debug and amandad.*.debug files on server
amrecover> exit

from the amidxtaped log file:

Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL << DEVICE=file://backup/amanda/vtape/shared/
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL << HOST=######
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL << DISK=^/home$
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL << DATESTAMP=20100929022457
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL << END
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: pid 23593 ruid 504 euid 504 version 3.1.2: rename at Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: find_volume labeled 'shared-1'
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: parse_inventory: load slot 0
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: new Amanda::Changer::Error: type='failed', reason='notfound', message='Volume 'shared-1' not found'
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL >> MESSAGE Volume 'shared-1' not found
Wed Sep 29 09:33:02 2010: amidxtaped: CTL >> FEEDME shared-1
Wed Sep 29 09:33:03 2010: amidxtaped: CTL << ERROR
Wed Sep 29 09:33:03 2010: amidxtaped: ignoring spurious Amanda::Recovery::Scan abort call
Wed Sep 29 09:33:03 2010: amidxtaped: CTL >> MESSAGE got invalid response from remote
Wed Sep 29 09:33:03 2010: amidxtaped: exiting with 0

any suggestions are welcome

skills
October 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
i redid the entire configuration and i have the same problem. it only finds the last volume used for backup. anybody else ran into this issue?

skills
October 22nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
one thing i noticed, if i do

amtape DailySet1 slot 3

on the backup server

then the tape is loaded without problems in amrecover

martineau
October 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
It's hard to tell what is wrong in your config when you don't post it.
I'm pretty sure restoring from file://backup/amanda/vtape/shared is not correct.
Post your changer/device configuration

skills
October 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
hello martineau, sorry for that. here is my amanda.conf

org "shared" # your organization name for reports
mailto "xxx@xxx" # space separated list of operators at your site
dumpcycle 2weeks # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 14 # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 30 # the number of tapes in rotation
runtapes 1 # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-disk" # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "file://backup/amanda/vtape/shared" # the no-rewind tape device
changerfile "/etc/amanda/shared/changer.conf" # tape changer configuration parameter file
changerdev "/dev/null" # tape changer configuration parameter device
tapetype HARDDISK # what kind of tape it is
labelstr "shared" # label constraint regex: all tapes must match
dtimeout 3600 # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted
ctimeout 300 # max number of secconds amcheck waits for each client
etimeout 1800 # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates
define dumptype global {
comment "Global definitions"
auth "bsdtcp"
}
define dumptype gui-base {
global
program "GNUTAR"
comment "gui base dumptype dumped with tar"
compress none
index yes
}
define tapetype HARDDISK {
comment "Virtual Tapes"
length 200 gbytes
}

if i do an amtape shared slot <number of tape that can't be found from amrecover)
it loads it after that, so as you say there must be some problem with the changer somewhere. please let me know if you need anything else

skills
October 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
yes, i noticed this now. i don't have the changer.conf file

martineau
October 24th, 2010, 05:28 AM
man amanda.conf

see amrecove_changer

skills
October 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
thank you, i am going to play with it. one last question

i added a new disk for backup with include files for directories in order to make smaller backups. the problem is this :
....
ERROR: my.server.com: [No include for /home/./d]
ERROR: my.server.com: [No include for /home/./c]
ERROR: my.server.com: [No include for /home/./b]
ERROR: my.server.com: [No include for /home/./a]

the disklist entries are these:
my.server.com /home/./a /home {
gui-base
exclude list "/var/lib/amanda/exclude-list"
include "./[a]*"
}
my.server.com /home/./b /home {
gui-base
exclude list "/var/lib/amanda/exclude-list"
include "./[b]*"
}
my.server.com /home/./c /home {
gui-base
exclude list "/var/lib/amanda/exclude-list"
include "./[c]*"
}
my.server.com /home/./d /home {
gui-base
exclude list "/var/lib/amanda/exclude-list"
include "./[d]*"
}

i have the exact same config for other 2 hosts and they work without problems. i know i'm doing something wrong but i can't figure out what. please let me know what else you need and thank you very much.

martineau
October 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM
amanda can't read /home/./ or there is no file with 'a' as the first letter.

skills
October 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
indeed, the backup was working fine on /home , but not on the files inside /home , modified the permissions and now it's ok. i've been playing with this all day and didn't consider the lack of permissions. thank you :)