PDA

View Full Version : Configuration & Setup advice sought

jaymax
September 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Hello,
I am setting up a back up system and am seeking any 'pre-emptive' advice to minimize the impact of errors that will surely be made along the way.

The system consists of two separate networked systems with independent static IP numbers. A FreeBSD UNIX machine is associated with one number. A LAN is associated with the other. The LAN consists of three 'Windows PC' desktops, one or more 'Windows PC' laptops and three SGI IRIX machines.

One of the 'Windows PC' will contain several multi-terabyte disks for the archival storage. Full monthly backup and daily incrementals are anticipated.

Any advice on config, setup, Gotchas to avoid etc will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Charles Curley
September 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
The system consists of two separate networked systems with independent static IP numbers. A FreeBSD UNIX machine is associated with one number. A LAN is associated with the other. The LAN consists of three 'Windows PC' desktops, one or more 'Windows PC' laptops and three SGI IRIX machines.

One of the 'Windows PC' will contain several multi-terabyte disks for the archival storage. Full monthly backup and daily incrementals are anticipated.

I'm not following. If you plan to use a Windows machine as your backup server, Amanda won't work for you. Amanda server only runs on Unix. Or do you plan to use one of the SGI boxes?

Amanda doesn't work in terms of scheduling full or partial backups. It schedules full backups across a span of time, called a dumpcycle (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Dumpcycle), so as to even out resource usage (especially tapes).

I recommend a much shorter frequency for full backups than monthly. If the system dies the day before a total backup is due, you now have to push a month's worth of tapes through the restore process. Even with virtual tapes, that sounds awfully error prone to me. I use a dumpcycle of two weeks, and I'm considering cutting that back.