PDA

View Full Version : modify disklist with amaddclient

kenapp
July 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hi,

I have installed Amanda backup server 3.1.1-1 for RHEL 5_x86 on a Centos 5.3 64 bit box, and the same version of Amanda backup client on another box with the same OS. Both use the ext3 file system.

I am successfully backing up a with Amanda. I set up the initial backup job with the following command (FQDN obscured by me in this example):

amaddclient --config DailySet1 --client xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.com --diskdev /var/www/html --dumptype comp-user-tar

I now want to change what I am backing up, and add other directories. Instead of backing up /var/www/html, I want to back up /var, as well as /etc.

I used the following command as the amandabackup user to do this:

-sh-3.2$ amaddclient --config Dailyset1 --client xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.com --m --diskdev /var /etc --dumptype comp-usr-tar

This command resulted in the following errror:

Logging to /var/log/amanda/amaddclient.20100716141601.debug
ERROR: Cannot open /etc/amanda/Dailyset1/amanda.conf file : No such file or directory
-sh-3.2$ pwd

However, the error does not seem valid since this file does exist as shown below:

-sh-3.2$ pwd
/etc/amanda/DailySet1
-sh-3.2$ ls -la
total 264
drwxr-x--- 5 amandabackup disk 4096 Jul 16 01:00 .
drwxr-x--- 4 amandabackup disk 4096 Jul 16 01:00 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 amandabackup disk 6903 Jul 12 12:50 advanced.conf
-rw------- 1 amandabackup disk 1427 Jul 12 12:50 amanda.conf

I also ran this command from this directory.

Unfortunately, the man page for amaddclient is somewhat brief, and I cannot find examples of using the --m switch, or for backing up multiple directories. I don't want to backup the whole file system since I fear stuff in /dev could cause a problem.

I also don't want to manually edit /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist since I see several posts here warning that this could cause problems with Amanda.

Can anyone give some guidance on how I can modify my disklist, or point out if I am doing anything obviously wrong? Does the --diskdev switch accept multiple directories, and if so, and I using the correct syntax?

Thanks,
ken

jours
July 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
You have a typo. Use DailySet1 (note the capital "S") instead of Dailyset1. Remember Linux is case-sensitive!

kenapp
July 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
You have a typo. Use DailySet1 (note the capital "S") instead of Dailyset1. Remember Linux is case-sensitive!

Yes, saw this 2 days ago and got it working. Didn't modify with the -m switch, just ran the same command i did the first time but using /var. Now /var is backed up as well as the /var/www/html directory further down the structure. I will try modifying so there isn't that redundancy in what is backed up.

thanks.