PDA

View Full Version : How do I schedule hourly backups?

itatcma
July 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'm new to Amanda - so I apologize if this question has a simple solution.

I need to schedule an hourly backup (between 08:00 and 17:00) against a SQL database server. (I'm using the Amanda MSSQL Server backup client.) I haven't seen any information anywhere describing how to set up this schedule; it seems that 'Days' is Amanda's most granular level.

The only thing I've been able to come up with is a Backup Set for each hour of the day. This would mean that if a failure occured at 13:10, the 13:00 backup set could be used to restore the databases.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or better ideas?

jours
July 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
I haven't used the MSSQL backup client, but why not:

crontab -e

and then add a line like:

0 8-17 * * * /usr/sbin/amdump <whatever>

John

itatcma
August 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks. That is part of the solution that I came up with.

To schedule a full backup at 08:00 and then incremental ONLY backups at 12:00 and 14:00 a combination of amadmin force and amdump. To ensure that only incremental backups are run, use the parm maxpromoteday in the backup set's disklist.conf file:

in disklist.conf for each backup set - add the parameter "maxpromoteday" with a value of 0. This tells Amanda not to promote any backup to level 0.

In cron, schedule the incremental updates:

0 12,14 * * 1-5 /opt/zmanda/amanda/bin/amdump_wrapper --config <backupset name>

Then the full backup. Force sets the backup level to 0. One minute later amdump launches the backup process:

0 8 * * 1-5 /usr/sbin/amadmin <backupsetname> force <host>
1 8 ** 1-5 /opt/zmanda/... /amdump_wrapper --config <backupsetname>

Charles Curley
August 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
I also have not used the MSSQL client. However, I suggest you not worry about full vs. partial backups and let amanda handle that. It works quite well.