PDA

View Full Version : Backing up the Amanda Server

vpatton
June 15th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Is there anything I need to know about backing up the server Amanda is installed on? I've ran amcheck and every time I get ACK request failed from the Amanda server. I followed the instructions like all the other severs, but this one wants to be annoying...and considering it is the backup server, I know there is something I might be missing.

pyeatman
June 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Usually you just want to avoid backing up the holding disk and/or virtual tapes when backing up the Amanda server. Which authentication method are you using currently? Please try using "local" if not already.

vpatton
June 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I wasn't using local, I'll try that thanks, I read somewhere to use bsdtcp. I'm just backing up the /etc directory on it, I read where not to backup the virtual disk.

Thanks for the help

jfarschman
June 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hi,

I just backup my /etc/amanda, but you want to keep the original binaries for the ananda server install around as well.

backup.nettraffic.net /etc/amanda comp-user-tar # 0GB

Also, I've tested this and have documented the recovery procedure. Essentially, I rebuild the server, then mount the backup tape (i use hard drives) and then manually extract the /etc/amanda. Then everything was working.

I did this because the originally backup server I loaded things on was gutless and lame.... lacked gigabit Ethernet, had low speed drives. So i simulated a barebones recovery to real hardware.