PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Hardware (Disks/NAS) - Opinions

jfarschman
June 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
PROBLEM - Skepticism over how reliable my drive swap system is.

I want to backup to to disk, but I'm facing some skepticism on the number of times that I can eject a disk from a drive caddy before something bad happens to the pins. I currently use something line this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS

I believe they also make a 2-port system. Weekly we swap drives. I wrote a drive swap script that unmounts and also verifies that the operator isn't putting the same drive back in. I built a cool case to carry the drive off site.

Opinions????

I'd like to hear if there are any better ideas. If anyone else thinks I'm taking a risk with the possibility of a physical failure? Any improvements?

Thanks.

jfarschman
June 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I am starting to lean toward a RAIT Mirroring solution (http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Mirror_Dumps_to_Virtual_Tapes_and_Real_Tape s_using_RAIT). That should allow me to connect to two different backup sources. One, a JBOD that just sits in the data center and never moves or restoring files one or two at a time and a removable drive that goes offsite.

Still like to hear what removable solutions people are using. I can see 27 people who have looked at this post and zero responses. :confused:

jfarschman
June 23rd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Okay, still no responses.

More detail - it's looking like I have 2 TB of data to backup. That's a lot of junk. Anyone have a recommendation for a proper system to handle 2TB?

zbackup
June 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Have you looked at the RDX Removable Disk Storage? It is ideal for a removable disk solution for backup purposes.

jfarschman
June 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM
zBackup,

That's a pretty nice solution. "The media operates like a tape drive and once inserted into the RDX dock, sustains up to 45 MB per second average sustained data transfer rates and backs up more than 100 gigabytes of data in an hour."

This will very likely work for me. Thanks.

zbackup
June 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Great! Please let us know about your experience if you do go down this path. This will be helpful to several other Amanda users as well.