PDA

View Full Version : Host removal best practices

nickbetcher
May 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have recently been given the responsibility at my university of administrating an amanda backup server, and it has been some time since any changes were made. The first issue I want to rectify is a machine that was being backed up, but has been retired. I would just like to know if someone can give me the proper steps to do this so that I don't break anything!

I'm sure the first step is removing the entries for this host from my disklist.

There are some other steps though, that I'm not sure if I should take. Should I remove the directory for this host in my index directory? Is it possible that just rm -rf'ing this directory could break anything? I've looked through the index directories for this host, and the directories for each disk being backed up exist, but they are all empty. Does amanda clear these directories out on its own if no backups are performed on the host?

I have put some effort into finding these answers myself, but I'm having trouble locating a proper host removal best practices write-up. If these questions are stupid and I just need to rtfm please say so, I won't be offended! Thank you for any assistance you can provide me with in advance!

pyeatman
May 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, removing the entry for the host in the disklist would be a good first step.

If there is no current data for this host on tape and/or you never plan to restore any of it, you can remove the host from Amanda's mind by running amadmin with the delete option. Please see the man page for more info.

That should do it.

I presume the index files are all empty because backups are being performed for a host that is not online.