PDA

View Full Version : ZWC drops connection

philipp
March 11th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hello,

I'm very impressed with the Amanda software but am having endless problems with the apparently closed source ZWC client for Windows.

I'm using Amanda 2.6.1p2 on CentOS 5.4 (Linux 2.6.18-164.el5) and running ZWC 2.6.1.2 (revision 20180) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Backups will start well, with good progress appearing in the amstatus display, but then suddenly the ZWC client will close the connection with a Reset packet. I can see this happen when I tcpdump the packet flow, and then the emailed report will contain something like:

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
server1 "D:/tc" lev 1 FAILED [data read: recv error: Connection reset by peer]
server1 "D:/tc" lev 1 FAILED [mesg read: recv error: Connection reset by peer]
server1 D:/tc lev 1: partial taper:

From watching the Task Manager's Service tab I see that the service exits, and the client subsequently ignores connections to the Amanda port.

Please would anyone advise if you've seen this kind of behaviour before, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Philip

prashant
March 11th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Philip,
Can you please send us the server and the client side logs to investigate the issue.

To collect the ZWC client logs, run "Start > Programs > Zmanda.. > ZWC Support".

Send the logs to either "community@zmanda.com" or "prashant@zmanda.com".

Regards,
Prashant

Barsk
March 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I have the same error. The estimate phase runs ok, then beginning dumps and after a while the zmc service (not mysql) crashes. I had this on several DLEs that I have tested so it is not a spcific location in the filesystem that cases it.
I will post the support dumps as requested to your email.

I am running the x64 version. Any chances the 32 bit version will work? In that case I might just install that and test?

prashant
March 19th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Hi,
No, installing a 32bit client on 64bit platform is not recommended. We will analyse the logs and let you know what the issue is.

We would also require the crash dump for ZWCService. Can you please run the following steps and send us the logs:
1. Run Start > Program > Zmanda > Zmanda Client for Windows... > Setup Debug Environment.
2. Run the backup. Let the ZWCService crash.
3. Again run "Start > Programs > Zmanda.. > ZWC Support". Send the .cab file.

Regards,
Prashant

Barsk
March 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I was unable to do that. I got these messages from the Support tool. Hope you can decipher those swedish error messages...

It says that there is a wrong syntax for REG QUERY.
Environment variable ,93\System-Info\env_variables.txt is not defined
A file or directory with the name C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zma
nda Client for Windows Community Edition(x64)\173207 already exists. I tried to remove all those files and directories, but the error persisted...

"Please enter the Case id or Customer name:"
DevoITAB
Collecting logs.......
FEL: Felaktig syntax.
Använd kommandot "REG QUERY /?" om du vill se syntaxhjälp.
Miljövariabeln ,93\System-Info\env_variables.txt är inte definierad.
"Copying Crash Dump files"
Det finns redan en fil eller underkatalog med namnet C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zma
nda Client for Windows Community Edition(x64)\173207.
Ett fel uppstod vid behandlingen av: C:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Client for W
indows Community Edition(x64)\173207

prashant
March 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hi,
Can you tell me if you are logged in to the ZWC machine using Administrator account or some other account. If you have logged in as some other account, right click on the "Setup Debug Environment" link in Program Menu and click on "Run as Administrator".

If this fails too or you have already logged in to the machine as Administrator, I would suggest you manually setup Crash dump by following steps below and send the file to us:

1. Either through command prompt or using regedit tool, add
a)
reg add HKLM\Software\Zmanda\ZWC\1.0\temp\LocalDumps /f

b) reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f

b) reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpFolder /t REG_SZ /d "%ProgramData%\Zmanda\CrashDump\"

c) reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpLevel /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

d) reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpCount /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

What this will do is setup memory dump on the server.

After this run the backup, let the ZWCService crash and then run the Support tool to collect all the logs.

Regards,
Prashant

kbechler
April 22nd, 2010, 02:17 AM
Hello,

I've got similar problem with ZCW 2.6.1.3 (32bit) installed on W2K3 R2 SE SP2.

After backup is initiated, client resets connection and ZCW service crashes:

FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
fs1 "e:/data/hra" lev 0 FAILED "[Request to fs1 failed: recv error: Connection reset by peer]"

I've got file named "520547" (ca 160MB) in directory c:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Client for Windows Community Edition\misc.

In c:\Program Files\Zmanda\Zmanda Client for Windows Community Edition\Debug\LogFile.txt log ends with:
3500:2600:22/4/2010:01:34:811::Query:ReadDLEFileNames: Executing Query SELECT DataElementPhysicalPath FROM ZWCCatalog.ZWCDataObjectSet WHERE DiskListId = 49 ORDER BY `dosentryid` INTO OUTFILE 'C:/Program Files/Zmanda/Zmanda Client for Windows Community Edition/misc/fileList' FIELDS ESCAPED BY '';
3500:2600:22/4/2010:01:35:185::[ViewMapper::MapView] Return value of MapView is NULL due to error : 8

paddy
April 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM
How many files are in the DLE being backed up? How much memory do you have on the machine?

Paddy

kbechler
May 19th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hello,

How many files are in the DLE being backed up? How much memory do you have on the machine?

This system has 2.00 GB of RAM.
One big share was cutted into 13 smaller, but problem still exists. The biggest one is ca 5.0 GB in 45k files.

Barsk
May 19th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I can add that my problem, mentioned above still exists. I have not had time to dig into generating the debug info as per requested yet. But will do soon as time permits.

My system is an iCore machine with 6 GB of RAM.