PDA

View Full Version : Multiple VMWare on one tape

Fredroth
February 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Hi!

I am currently confronted with a problem between Amanda, vmware and the time zones

I work for a company in Belgium. This company works in collaboration with foreign countries, so our working hours are slightly different. In addition to that, i have another constraint. I have to backup 2 VMWare virtual Servers on one and only one tape drive, with one tape each day.

For my explanation, i will asume that the first vmware virtual server is called vmw1 and the second one, vmw2. The base operating system will be called vmw0.

It had been imposed to respect that schedule :

At 2PM until 4PM, i have to backup vmw1
At 4PM until 6PM, i have to backup vmw2
At 6AM until 8PM, i have to backup vmw0

So, i started to find out the best amanda configuration to perform that @#{@|#[@ task, but i couldn't find out how. I tried some solutions with a holding disk, one solution with vtapes, but none were really good enough for me.

Do you guys have some commentaries/ideas to help me ?

Regards,

Fred

tkr
February 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Fred
I do not believe that you can ask Amanda to terminate a back up job, without consequence. Which I assume you are doing by providing it with a "window" of time. The way Amanda works, the planner estimates what to back up based on some key parameters like what changed, since last back up, whats the available size and so on.

Is your requirement that each of the VM's be backed up seperately or is your requirement that they be backed up "exactly" at those times? In terms of what you tried with holding disks and vtape, what exactly did not work?

Thanks
tk

paddy
February 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Should all 3 machines be backed up to the same tape? If you want to use
one tape for each vm, you can try using 3 different Amanda configurations.

Paddy

Fredroth
February 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I do not believe that you can ask Amanda to terminate a back up job, without consequence. Which I assume you are doing by providing it with a "window" of time. The way Amanda works, the planner estimates what to back up based on some key parameters like what changed, since last back up, whats the available size and so on.

Is your requirement that each of the VM's be backed up seperately or is your requirement that they be backed up "exactly" at those times? In terms of what you tried with holding disks and vtape, what exactly did not work?
tk

Hi trk,

yes, it's a requirement to back them up at different times. That's the reason why i planned to use the file driver and then back the files up on the tape, but if i do it that way, i have no index.

I'm currently trying a new config with vtapes and a virtual tape changer. Maybe i'll win :)

Regards

tkr
February 14th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Hi trk,

yes, it's a requirement to back them up at different times. That's the reason why i planned to use the file driver and then back the files up on the tape, but if i do it that way, i have no index.

I'm currently trying a new config with vtapes and a virtual tape changer. Maybe i'll win :)

Regards

You could try working with a specific dumplevel on a daily basis and then do a full dump when you have the bandwidth in terms of available time.

Thanks
tk

Fredroth
February 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Hi trk,

Do you have a quick example to point me to the right direction ?

Regards

Fred

tkr
February 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Hi trk,

Do you have a quick example to point me to the right direction ?

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of pocket.
I dont have an example handy, but I can definitely work on putting one together. I will not be able to do it before Thursday / Friday
my time. Will that be ok?

Thanks
tk

Fredroth
February 15th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Hi Fred
I will not be able to do it before Thursday / Friday
my time. Will that be ok?

tk

Sure, it's in any case nice from you to help me :)

Fred

tkr
February 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Sure, it's in any case nice from you to help me :)

Fred
This is not an example, but a pointer I hope will get you started.
From amanda.conf
# strategy - set the dump strategy. Valid strategies are currently:
# "standard" - the standard one.
# "nofull" - do level 1 dumps every time. This can be used,
# for example, for small root filesystems that
# only change slightly relative to a site-wide
# prototype. Amanda then backs up just the
# changes.
# "noinc" - do level 0 dumps every time.
# Unfortunately, this is not currently
# implemented. Use `dumpcycle 0'
# instead.
# "skip" - skip all dumps. Useful for sharing a single
# disklist in several configurations.
# "incronly" - do only incremental dumps. This is similar
# to strategy 'nofull', but will increase
# the dump level as usual. Full dumps will
# only be performed when an 'amadmin force'
# has been issued
# Default: [strategy standard]

The thinking [atleast in my mind] is that choosing a particular dump level, you might be able to achieve your goals of doing the back ups within your required times.

Is there a reason why you have to back up to tape? Would backing up to disk work?

tk