PDA

View Full Version : General Guidelines for Using NAS devices

bmak
February 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Hello,

I am struggling to get a NAS to act as the VTL of our Amanda Enterprise installation.

The system is installed and functions with a test backup of the localhost machine to a local vtape destination. I can create a new folder "AmandaVTL" and have Amanda perform test backup's to this successfully. However, when i mount my NAS (Thecus N3200) in this folder Amanda starts to complain about permissions.

Does anyone know of a document, tutorial or video that outlines the correct process?

BMAK

DJ
February 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Is Zmanda Management Console reporting that the backup vtape directory does not
have correct permissions?

The backup directory is expected to have read/write permissions only for amandabackup user. Please note that this is a warning message.

If you cannot change the permissions for the NAS appliance, You can disable "Show Security Warnings" in Admin Preferences page.

Please make sure you have ZMC rollup patch (patch 9426) installed.

thanks
Paddy

bmak
February 17th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hi Paddy,

Thanks for your reply.

After creating the new folder "ZmandaVTL" I set the permissions so that only 'amandabackup' has access. At this point I can go ahead and backup a testset to this folder. But the folder is local and I want to get the backup onto a NAS device. As soon as I map the NAS device I get the permissions error.

So, without the NAS mounted I can backup to the folder but data is stored locally. With the NAS connected I get the permissions errors.

The NAS can connect to AD as well as use local user accounts and I have created a matching amandabackup account on the NAS in the hope that it will negate the errors, but it does not help.

I am looking for someone who may have encountered this in their efforts to produce a similar set-up or someone who knows of any specific examples of backing up to a NAS.

BMAK

paddy
February 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Where do you see the "permission" errors? Do you see them in ZMC? You can disable them in Admin Preferences page.

Please provide more information on the messages you are seeing.

thanks
Paddy