PDA

View Full Version : Backup a single file with Amanda

koopa13
February 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hi all,

I am new to Amanda.
I would like to know how can I backup a single file with Amanda. I know I have to create a .conf file (or do I edit the amanda.conf file), but I do not know how to make it so that I only backup one specifiy file (ie. reports)

I have read alot on amanda backup and I know I have to use amdump <conf>, but it seems that all the tutorials teach how to create a cron for backups. I only want to backup one file one time. How can I do this?

Cheers

dwlocks
April 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I think I'm missing part of your problem here. Amanda is *way* too much overhead to back up a single file. why in particular do you want to use amanda? It seems like tar or even the most basic "cp" will suffice to back up a single file.

Dan

RReuscher
August 22nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
Does this mean you can't backup a single file with Amanda? We are in the process of testing/implementing Amanda as a backup solution. As a test of network traffic throughput and compress we would like to run just a test on one of our moderately sized files (40GB) in a directory that contains 300-400 GB just to see how long that file will take to compress and be written across the network and then to tape.

I can alway copy that file to another directory to run the test, but I'd like to avoid that step if possible.