PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Windows client data on Linux



Bill B
January 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I ran into a situation where I needed to restore files from a Windows client (backed up with the community edition) using amrestore on one of our Linux systems.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work out-of-the-box, as these threads can attest -

http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=1279

http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=1187

http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=934


The good news, is that it IS possible, assuming you don't mind recompiling amrecover. I have applied this patch on our 2.5.1p1 server and was able to restore with no issues.

I figured I'd share, in case it can help someone else.

--

ddt999
February 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Based on Bill B's modification, and some ideas from this thread:

http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=934

I have come up with some new ideas. If you have problems with Amanda complaining about "/bin/tar.exe", maybe you can try:

1. Make a backup copy of the Amanda backup files first, in case this method does not work.
2. Issue this command:

# dd if=<file> bs=32k count=1 | sed 's/\/bin\/tar.exe/\/usr\/bin\/tar/' | dd of=<file> conv=notrunc bs=32k count=1

where <file> is the name of the Amanda backup file you want to restore from. This also assumes that you are using the standard block size (in Amanda) of 32kB.

If you do "head -n 3" on the old file and then on the newly converted file, you will notice that the /bin/tar.exe has been replaced by /usr/bin/tar.

I have not tested this solution personally as I have not encountered the /bin/tar.exe issue, but I would think this is worth a try.