PDA

View Full Version : differential Backup with ZRM?

Julegner
November 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hi,
is it possible to run scheduled differential Backups with ZRM?
With differetial Backup I mean a Backup that contains all Informations changed or added since last full Backup.

kkg
November 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Yes you can. You need to set the backup-level to 1.

Use the option "--backup-level 1"

--kkg

trickykid
November 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Also to add, be sure you have the bin logs for MySQL enabled for this functionality to work.

paddy
November 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Please see ZRM for MySQL wiki for information on enabling binary logs (http://mysqlbackup.zmanda.com/index.php/Do_I_need_to_make_changes_to_MySQL_database_config uration%3F#Binary_logs).

Paddy

azzegai
September 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Use the option "--backup-level 1"

From my understanding that would give one incremental backups, not differential backups. Or have I missed something here?

choogendyk
September 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
It's just terminology. The definition of differential backup is to backup everything that has changed since the last full backup. The Unix/Linux/Amanda definition of backup levels is much more general. It encompasses backup levels 0 through 9. Level 0 is full backup. Level 1 is everything since the last 0. Level 2 is everything since the last 1 or 0. And so on.

Thus, by definition, a level 1 backup is the same as what some other applications dub differential.

Some applications use incremental to refer to backing up anything that has changed since the last backup of any kind. In Unix backup level terms, that would be like incrementing the backup level by one every time.