PDA

View Full Version : Backup report problems

mrevelle
November 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM
First, the report...

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
epsilon.bleh.com /var/www lev 1 STRANGE

STATISTICS:
Total Full Incr.
-------- -------- --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min) 0:00
Run Time (hrs:min) 0:02
Dump Time (hrs:min) 0:01 0:00 0:01
Output Size (meg) 79.9 0.0 79.9
Original Size (meg) 919.2 0.0 919.2
Avg Compressed Size (%) 8.7 -- 8.7 (level:#disks ...)
Filesystems Dumped 3 0 3 (1:3)
Avg Dump Rate (k/s) 1110.8 -- 1110.8

Tape Time (hrs:min) 0:00 0:00 0:00
Tape Size (meg) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Tape Used (%) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Filesystems Taped 0 0 0

Chunks Taped 0 0 0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s) -- -- --

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- epsilon.bleh.com /var/www lev 1 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [epsilon.bleh.com:/var/www level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
? gtar: ./cacti/log/cacti.log: file changed as we read it
| Total bytes written: 946503680 (903MiB, 14MiB/s)
sendbackup: size 924320
sendbackup: end
\--------

DUMP SUMMARY:
DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-MB OUT-MB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
-------------------------- ------------------------------------- -------------
epsilon.bleh /etc/nagios 1 0 0 10.0 0:01 1.3 N/A N/A
epsilon.bleh /var/www 1 903 75 8.3 1:08 1132.5 N/A N/A
gamma.bleh.com /websites 1 17 5 28.1 0:05 979.1 N/A N/A

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.5.0p2)

My biggest concern at this point is the vtape problems. I installed the system using the 15 minute backup guide however I think I might have caused the failure indicated here by testing the backup one too many times before letting the cron jobs take over and might have thrown the series off if that's technically possible? Either way can anyone explain to me what is typically culpable of this problem and what is the best way to resolve it? I know the error says to use amflush and I am in the process of researching the error on my end however any additional insight would be greatly appreciated on the nature and concern of the problem.

As far as the 'strange' dumps from the Cactii instance: Cacti changes pretty much every 5 minutes and every dump has come up strange except for maybe one or two. Is this something I should be concerned of? If so, what measures should I be taking to preserve the integrity of the backups for it?

Thanks in advance

pyeatman
April 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
First, the report...

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found].

My biggest concern at this point is the vtape problems. I installed the system using the 15 minute backup guide however I think I might have caused the failure indicated here by testing the backup one too many times before letting the cron jobs take over and might have thrown the series off if that's technically possible? Either way can anyone explain to me what is typically culpable of this problem and what is the best way to resolve it? I know the error says to use amflush and I am in the process of researching the error on my end however any additional insight would be greatly appreciated on the nature and concern of the problem.

amflush won't help until we get the tapes working. What do you get if you try to scan the changer

$ amtape <config> show

As far as the 'strange' dumps from the Cactii instance: Cacti changes pretty much every 5 minutes and every dump has come up strange except for maybe one or two. Is this something I should be concerned of? If so, what measures should I be taking to preserve the integrity of the backups for it?

I don't see this as a big concern. It is not all of Cacti but just its log file.

./cacti/log/cacti.log

As long as this file is open when tar is running, it won't get a good backup of it. Is this is big concern?

Paul