PDA

View Full Version : estimate of level 1 failed.



Caesonia
November 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I have been receiving this error on my dumps ever since I accidently left a bit-torrent downloading on one machine, with a new OS version. It seems like it got thrown. I have removed the bit torrent completely from the machine, but I am still seeing these errors on two different backup directories, and I am not really sure what to look for in what log.

I have looked in the planner log, and I don' t see it saying something like there is not enough space on the disk. The estimates just keep failing and I am stuck with total dumps every night.

How do I get this back on track?

TIA

Caesonia
November 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I can't even find what the heck logs you should look at, because the planner says buzz all.

I love watching simple questions that have been researched sit for severald ays without a hint.

martineau
November 17th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Look in the client sendsize.*.debug and amandad.*.debug

dustin
November 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Caesonia, you've been around the forums for some time now, and on at least one occasion have made comments about the lack of response. Most of the folks answering questions here are Amanda's authors, and our time is limited. Please pitch in, and answer some of the other posts on the forums.

You may also want to try the amanda-users mailing list, which has a much wider audience.

Caesonia
November 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Caesonia, you've been around the forums for some time now, and on at least one occasion have made comments about the lack of response. Most of the folks answering questions here are Amanda's authors, and our time is limited. Please pitch in, and answer some of the other posts on the forums.

You may also want to try the amanda-users mailing list, which has a much wider audience.

I do pitch in, when I know the answer, and did so from the beginning. Usually that involved Ubuntu installations because its where I have most experience. But its true I also fade away from the forum for periods, because the activity level is pretty slow. When forums are slow, well, they tend to beget slowness. Forums with a lot of fast participation brings a lot of activity. When people check back for several days and read nothing, the tend to move on, and forget about contributing. After all, contribute to what?

I have noticed you snapping at some other members who don't ask questions the way you like them, so maybe that's another reason why people don't contribute very much, and its up to the developers.

If its so much trouble, and you don't fancy having a thriving forum, then I think you should just close this down to all but the special developers like yourself, so you won't be bothered with peons who donate money to your pet projects.

Caesonia
November 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Look in the client sendsize.*.debug and amandad.*.debug


Thank you for that hint.

Caesonia
November 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Tanks for the hint on the logs. Unfortunately, there weren't any debug logs that fit with the dates.

The problem appears to have been the bit torrent download. As long as there was a record of that on any of the logs through the rotation - I have 14 day recycle time - the estimate failed. Once every one of those had been overwritten, it went back to doing the backups correctly with a combination of incrementals and full back ups.

I wish I had a more detailed explanation, but I don't, after scouring through the logs for 2 weeks.

My recommendation for people is to be very careful about running any bit torrents on the machines being backed up, certainly on the directories that are being backed up.