PDA

View Full Version : Labeling Problem

trghpy
October 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have a SUSE Server + an HP tape library.
My Config seems to work well enough. However I can't seem to label anything. When I force labels on, IE, tape-1 slot 1, tape-2 slot 2, I end up with the label tape-1 through the whole array.

/etc/amanda/HPTapeLibrary> amlabel HPTapeLibrary HPTapeLibrary-09
labeling tape in slot 9 (tape:/dev/nst1):
Reading label...
Found Amanda tape HPTapeLibrary-04
Writing label HPTapeLibrary-09..
Checking label...
Success!
/etc/amanda/HPTapeLibrary> amtape HPTapeLibrary slot next
amtape: changed to slot 10 on tape:/dev/nst1
amandabackup@hq1d-s07-slex:/etc/amanda/HPTapeLibrary> amlabel HPTapeLibrary HPTapeLibrary-10
labeling tape in slot 10 (tape:/dev/nst1):
Reading label...
Found Amanda tape HPTapeLibrary-09, tape is active

tape not labeled

Example:
/etc/amanda/HPTapeLibrary> amtape HPTapeLibrary show
amtape: scanning all 11 slots in tape-changer rack:
slot 5: time X label HPTapeLibrary-04
slot 6: time X label HPTapeLibrary-04
slot 9: time X label HPTapeLibrary-04

Problem seems identical to this guys, however I'm using a tape library. http://forums1.zmanda.com/showthread.php?t=2091

Thanks

choogendyk
November 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Did you resolve this? Seems weird. What version of Amanda are you using? I presume you configured the tape library so that you can move tapes around manually with mtx and that all works? Then you integrated that into your Amanda configuration, which is named HPTapeLibrary, using the chg-zd-mtx changer script? And confirmed that that works? Are you watching the changer and seeing what it is doing from its front panel?

I'm just guessing, but one of two things would make sense to me here. Maybe your configuration isn't right and it isn't really operating the changer the way it should. So, even though you think you've changed slots, you haven't. The other would be a bug in what's being reported. To track down either one of those requires more information. That's why I'm basically just asking puzzled questions.

When debugging things like this, it's always good to take a pause between actions and get status. So, after doing a slot next, use mtx directly to report the status of the library. Does it have a barcode reader? Are you looking at the files changer-barcodes and tapelist in your configuration directory?

trghpy
November 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
After giving up, taking a breather and re-trying I found the issue.
The HP tape library has 2 tape drives, I was talking to drive 2 and it was putting tapes into drive 1.

So that brings up a follow-up question..

Does anyone have a working dual tape drive configuration?

Thanks
-Mike

choogendyk
November 4th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I don't know the direct answer to that, but if you look at http://wiki.zmanda.com/man/amanda-changers.7.html and scan down to the middle where it talks about chg-rait, it mentions having two different chg-zd-mtx changers that access different tape drives. You might be able to figure something out from that. It could lead to a variety of other complications and confusion around Amanda's planner figuring out what tapes to use and so on.

If nobody picks up on the change of direction in this thread, you might want to start a new post with an appropriate title to catch their attention, say, "configuring tape library with two tape drives".

dustin
November 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Chris's suggestion is a good one, but rememeber that RAIT *stripes* (or mirrors) across drives, so while it will use both drives simultaneously, it will not schedule them separately.

Also, chg-zd-mtx will probably collide with itself; that is, it will try to load a tape into drive 1 while already loading a tape into drive 0. Chg-robot, in the next release, does a better job.