PDA

View Full Version : Reserved ntfs characters on dump filename.

ichbink
October 2nd, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'm testing amanda with a Debian Lenny - amanda-server 2.5.2.p1- as server, a linux desktop as client with lenny too, and two windows one Xp an a 2003 server with 2.5.2 ZWC downloaded from zmanda.com.

My problem is that i'm writting to a virtual tapes and this virtual tapes -and holding disk too- are on a directory mounted on the server via NFS and this NFS servers runs on a Windows Storage Server.

The point is that when windows clients dumps backups the corresponding filename containing for example "C:_path_test_backup" it gives me and input/output error because ":" character is reserved in ntfs filesystem.

If I change the amanda.conf in order to put holding and virtual tape disk on a local disk it runs smoothly.

Is there any way to configure such names?
It is easy to pipe amdump output to a tr command? Will this make problems on amrestore?

Thanks and regards.

dustin
October 2nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
In general, it's not recommended to put vtapes on NTFS, but this particular case is new to me. We could certainly make a modification to the vfs device to filter that particular character, but then you'd have to wait for the next release -- unless you can recompile. What do you think?

ichbink
October 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM
In general, it's not recommended to put vtapes on NTFS, but this particular case is new to me. We could certainly make a modification to the vfs device to filter that particular character, but then you'd have to wait for the next release -- unless you can recompile. What do you think?

thank you for your reply.

I'm browsing chunkek.c in order to find where "\" chars were translated to "_" and add the translation for ":" char too. I'm afraid that maybe this change is easy but what about the rest of amanda? If you could guide me in such changes or send me a pacth there is no problem in recompile the source.

It's enough to change the server code or this change implies both server and client?

Why put vtapes to NTFS is not recomended, file size limits issues?

The nfs server is on Windows 2003 Storage Server. Do you know if It's safe to virtualize VmWare Server a debian on this platform and serve NFS via Linux?

dustin
October 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM
NTFS doesn't support symlinks, either, which can cause problems with chg-disk.

Anyway, the code to collapse the filenames is in common-src/file.c:sanitise_filename. If you look in trunk, you'll see that this was already fixed (2.5.2 is almost four years old). You can probably patch your version. Here's the commit:

http://github.com/zmanda/amanda/commit/c686b296bb185e8bafebc15b580b3059f6040856

ichbink
October 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I had donwload and installed 2.6.1p1-1 version from zmanda.com, and problem was solved, ":" chars are correctly translated. Now I have problems restoring files with ISO 8859-15 chars on filenames... but i'm afraid that this is another discussion.

Regarding symlinks I follow the "How To:Backup to Virtual Tapes on a non-UNIX Filesystem" and no problems arise.

thanks!