PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: help choosing hardware and OS

ydefaye
September 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hello,

I'm a new IT manager at a small rural hospital. They are a lot of thinks that needs to improve here including backup. We have 5 Windows servers and several database based on MSSQL. VMware and Linux should be install here soon and I would need them as well backed up.

I don't know yet if I will go with the community or professional edition yet. I have used Linux before but far from being an expert, right now I'm struggling setting up LDAP, but that is different question for a different forum.

My question is, which Linux distribution should I go with? Ubuntu sounds good (heard of them a lot) but Red Hat might be good too (we may have Red Hat here for some clinic software).

Also, what hardware should I get? I'm looking to do hard disk backup mainly. I would like 2 servers as mirrored and each of them will be in a different building (linked by fiber).

I'm not sure I'm in the right place to ask those questions but if you would be kind and help me out here.

Thank you very much for your help.

Yael

paddy
September 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hello,

I'm a new IT manager at a small rural hospital. They are a lot of thinks that needs to improve here including backup. We have 5 Windows servers and several database based on MSSQL. VMware and Linux should be install here soon and I would need them as well backed up.

I don't know yet if I will go with the community or professional edition yet. I have used Linux before but far from being an expert, right now I'm struggling setting up LDAP, but that is different question for a different forum.

My question is, which Linux distribution should I go with? Ubuntu sounds good (heard of them a lot) but Red Hat might be good too (we may have Red Hat here for some clinic software).

Also, what hardware should I get? I'm looking to do hard disk backup mainly. I would like 2 servers as mirrored and each of them will be in a different building (linked by fiber).

I'm not sure I'm in the right place to ask those questions but if you would be kind and help me out here.

Thank you very much for your help.

Yael

Redhat and Ubuntu packages for Amanda server are available at http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php

The server specs depends on size of backups and frequency of backups. If you are planning to use compression or encryption on the server, you will need more CPU resources.

Paddy

ydefaye
September 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Redhat and Ubuntu packages for Amanda server are available at http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php

The server specs depends on size of backups and frequency of backups. If you are planning to use compression or encryption on the server, you will need more CPU resources.

Paddy

Is Amanda Community really easy to use? Does it have a web GUI like the Zmanda Enterprise? For someone who doesn't know that much Linux, which is is better (I did install linux before and did a few thinks with it)?

Regarding servers, I'm looking to get at least 4TB for backup. We currently almost have 2TB of data, and I would like to use compression, Encryption won't be necessary I think because it will be in a lock room on site (in 2 different building).

Thanks,
Yael

paddy
September 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Amanda community does not have GUI. You will have to use command line.

If you are interested in a trial version of Amanda Enterprise, please send an email to zsales at zmanda dot com

ydefaye
September 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info but I don't have time to test a trial version for now. When I'll more time, I will want to give it a try before hand.

Yael