PDA

View Full Version : multiple media servers

bannaych
September 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
HI

Can anyone tell me if ZMANDS supports having master and media servers

ie: one master server with disk and tape, and another media server with disk an tape ( similar to how netbackup works )

Chris

zbackup
September 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Backup server for Amanda Enterprise acts as the Media Server as well. i.e. you cannot just run a media server on a separate server independent of the Amanda backup server.

In case the motivation for this architecture is to save on backup server licenses, Amanda Enterprise Server license is no where close to as onerous as a NetBackup server license.

bannaych
September 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
ok Thanks

a few more questions

Can the 2 backup servers be configured to talk together and share resources or are they 2 separate enviroments?
can you manage both from one console ?

Im up against netbackup which can have multiple media server and master servers

The config is

1 master server on production sure with disk staging and tape library
1 server at DR site, which i want to be controller from the master, in NBU i just configure it as a media server and i can backup to storage devices across sites.

Is this possible with ZMANDA ?

Thank

Chris

zbackup
September 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Can the 2 backup servers be configured to talk together and share resources or are they 2 separate enviroments? can you manage both from one console ?

Amanda Enterprise is managed via Zmanda Management Console - which is a web based front-end. The two backup servers can be managed from two tabs on a browser. As such the two backup servers don't share resources. They can share a physical filer or a tape drive on a SAN, but logically these will be independent resources for the two Amanda servers.

1 master server on production sure with disk staging and tape library
1 server at DR site, which i want to be controller from the master, in NBU i just configure it as a media server and i can backup to storage devices across sites.

You can do couple of things: You can replicate Amanda configuration and backup files from the server on the production site to the server on the DR site. Or you can use Amanda's vaulting feature to "vault" backed up data from primary site to the DR site.

Another option would be to set up an independent Amanda server on the DR site to backup clients from the production site on a less intensive schedule.