PDA

View Full Version : different retention periods for same backup set?

markcpi
September 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
There was a forum post stating that the recommended practice is to have one backup set per database for both the full and incremental backups, and set the backup-level in the scheduler or cron. If that is the case, how can I set the retention periods differently for the full and incremental backups without having separate backup sets? There is no such option to the scheduler. I do a full backup weekly and incrementals daily and would like the full backups to be retained for 3 weeks and the incremental backups for 7 days. We don't have enough space to retain them all for 3 weeks.

uvdevnull
December 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
+1
I also need this functionality.

Since incremental ZRM backups include all binary logs since the last full, they pretty much act like differentials, so there is no reason to keep incremental sets older than just the last one, is there?

uvdevnull
December 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Since incremental ZRM backups include all binary logs since the last full, they pretty much act like differentials, so there is no reason to keep incremental sets older than just the last one, is there?

Never mind on my "differential" comment above, that interesting side effect was only happening due to the now resolved problem described here: http://forums.zmanda.com/showthread.php?p=8895