PDA

View Full Version : MySQL ZRM questions

paddy
October 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Klinton Lee had sent me some questions. I'm posting the questions and
answers to the forums for everyone's benefit.

Paddy

Email from Klinton Lee:

I’ve experimented with the basic configs, but haven’t had time to review; or ask the following question on the forum:

1) I have several INNODB and a few MYISAM databases (several hundred gigs). +100 databases.

2) Database systems are mainly Linux, but I have a couple of smaller XP servers.

I was able to configure a ‘simple’ / local test….and was wondering (specifically):

Questions:

How can I enable incremental backups on remote database servers? (securely).

I forgot the exact error: But the problem relates to the configuration file’s specification of the bin-log directory.

Q1:Would automount be the appropriate solution?

Q2:Is there a sample configuration file?

Q3:I was unable to locate the web-interface, that was demonstrated at the conference.

I currently have an excellent script to backup dailys/monthly/weekly/ and targeted rows/tables. But I’m always looking for ways to improve. And would like to keep the backup server centralized (with the ability to duplicate; ie…if the centralized backup server should fail).

Thanks for your help.

Klinton

paddy
October 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
My reply:

Questions:

How can I enable incremental backups on remote database servers? (securely).

You can do this with Version 1.1 using copy plugin. Use the ssh plugin template provided and modify it to suit your needs. Please take a look at http://mysqlbackup.zmanda.com/index.php/How_to_create_custom_plugins_for_MySQL_ZRM%3F#Copy _plugin

I forgot the exact error: But the problem relates to the configuration file's specification of the bin-log directory.

This is resolved in release 1.1 (couple of users had reported this problem).

Q1:Would automount be the appropriate solution?

Q2:Is there a sample configuration file?

We really do not need a configuration file if you are using standard MySQL parameters. Template configuration file is available in /etc/mysql-zrm/mysql- zrm.conf

Q3:I was unable to locate the web-interface, that was demonstrated at the conference.

We are working on it. It will be available soon.

I currently have an excellent script to backup dailys/monthly/weekly/ and targeted rows/tables. But I'm always looking for ways to improve. And would like to keep the backup server centralized (with the ability to duplicate; ie…if the centralized backup server should fail).

You can do this with ZRM for MySQL. Have one server running ZRM for MySQL backing up remote and local MySQL databases. The ZRM for MySQL configuration, backup images and database is portable. It can be
just copied or rsync'ed to another machine.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Paddy