PDA

View Full Version : Considering ZCB - Some Questions

AlecIs
May 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I am considering ZCB for remote backup of an instance Windows 2003 SBS with Exchange 2007. Before taking the plunge, I want to understand a couple of things.

First, my understanding is that the pricing is $0.20 per GB / month for storage plus $0.20 per GB transferred in. So, if send S3 40GB of data to store, I'm looking at (40 x 0.20) in transfer fees + (40 x 0.20) in storage costs, for a total of $16 right? If I were to then send S3 no data the next month, I'd be charged an additional $8.00 in storage fees only, right?

For what it's worth - I know that Amazon has a calculator on-line to help estimate charges, but there don't seem to be any tools that you can apply to a server to estimate (over time) the amount of data to be sent. It'd be interesting if there were some tool that could analyze a filesystem by last accessed timestamp (or whichever timestamp that ZCB uses) and show the amount of data generated over time in a table or graph.

Second question - does ZCB do a brick level backup of Exchange, or is it sending the whole message store each time a backup is run? Can I do a mailbox (or individual message) restore, or do I have to bring back the entire message store?

Thanks.

AlecIs
May 21st, 2009, 05:45 AM
Can someone help me with these questions, especially the Exchange message store backup one? Have I missed an FAQ or documentation somewhere?

I looked at the links on the ZCB main page, but didn't see answers to my questions.

gokul
May 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM
In response to your question2, We dont do a brick level backup of MS-Exchange, but since our backup is Microsoft VSS-based , we backup at the Storage Group level.

If you want to restore at the mailbox level, you would need to restore respective storage group to an alternate location, and then use the "exmerge" utility to restore individual mails/mailbox.

In case you need the steps to restore at the mailbox level, we can point you to the documentation.

Gokul.

paddy
June 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I am considering ZCB for remote backup of an instance Windows 2003 SBS with Exchange 2007. Before taking the plunge, I want to understand a couple of things.

First, my understanding is that the pricing is $0.20 per GB / month for storage plus $0.20 per GB transferred in. So, if send S3 40GB of data to store, I'm looking at (40 x 0.20) in transfer fees + (40 x 0.20) in storage costs, for a total of $16 right? If I were to then send S3 no data the next month, I'd be charged an additional $8.00 in storage fees only, right?

Yes. You are correct.

Paddy